How well does Leadworks work with non Unity desktops?

Guppy

Any of you guys running Ubuntu 14.04 with a different desktop ( Gnome 3 / KDE / Mate / Cinnamon / XFCE / etc ) and what if any bugs does this cause with the Leadwerks editor?

Getting tired of spending more time debugging the editor than creating stuff so I may just return to Ubuntu, I just cannot stand the Unity touchtop.

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

For me, the editor often crashes when I open materials, or when I attempt to import resources... I'm on ArchLinux x64 with cinnamon and before I was on gnome 3 but there were same problems.

I think I will create an Ubuntu partition for Leadwerks. I waste a lot of time because of this...

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Folks,

I am using suse appliance from suse studio from open suse from suse. I installed Leadwerks indie version. It works, but to ask you guys who do you really test it. It opens with out warnings or pop screens. First time it did with the outdated driver message, then I installed nvidia drivers propriety from .run file. the hard way. Now I can confirm it works other then Ubuntu. Pardon my spell check and bad grammers. I am in a rush with enthusiasm. I don't know how to trace my steps, so I will do whatever I can to help anybody else.

Gnome 64 Bit OS using my very own suse appliance I build with default kernel

1x Geforce GTX 650ti

XPS from the year 2008

More enthusiasm cause I just graduated December 20 from Game Art and Design at AIPOD with a Bachelor of Science, my only degree for now.

Happy New Years and Happy Valentines.

Bao

www.pandageneration.com

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Padman, a lot of things break / crash leadwerks when used with Linux.

Pfff. I'am tired of this guy here on the forum who cry all day long about how Leadwerks is bad. Especially in Linux part. Guys, yes, it is bugged, here and there, but for 95 % it is stable, and for another 5 it is not critical. Install Ubuntu, and stop this crying please. Ronald, if you like UE4, maybe you want to spend time learning it? wacko.png

• Upvote 6

Pfff. I'am tired of this guy here on the forum who cry all day long about how Leadwerks is bad. Especially in Linux part. Guys, yes, it is bugged, here and there, but for 95 % it is stable, and for another 5 it is not critical. Install Ubuntu, and stop this crying please. Ronald, if you like UE4, maybe you want to spend time learning it? wacko.png

While he is annoying he has a point. Using the Linux editor is like using your TV remote with oven mitts on -your are technically using your TV but would it not be nice to actually be in charge of what your watching?

If you not yet realised this then you will once your usage have become a bit more advanced

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

While he is annoying he has a point. Using the Linux editor is like using your TV remote with oven mitts on -your are technically using your TV but would it not be nice to actually be in charge of what your watching?

If you not yet realised this then you will once your usage have become a bit more advanced

Thank you for your answer. For "Linux" it is stable. Have you seen other software that was ported to Linux? For example 3d Coat? I love it. But if I am at full screen, and someone sending me a message in Skype, I will get a black screen. And I cannot even drop the X server and reboot! THIS is a major bug, because if I forget to exit Skype I can spend hours for nothing. I have never seen a single corrupted file under five weeks in Leadwerks. And we do quite advanced stuff with it under Linux. You are not alone. By the way have you tried Mono in Unity?=) Unreal do crash on me too ( in windows ).

Sometimes it is not always the software bugs. It could be drivers. Linux itself has many old bugs in the X server and to work around it, you need more than one guy.

Thank you for your answer. For "Linux" it is stable. Have you seen other software that was ported to Linux? For example 3d Coat? I love it. But if I am at full screen, and someone sending me a message in Skype, I will get a black screen. And I cannot even drop the X server and reboot! THIS is a major bug, because if I forget to exit Skype I can spend hours for nothing. I have never seen a single corrupted file under five weeks in Leadwerks. And we do quite advanced stuff with it under Linux. You are not alone. By the way have you tried Mono in Unity?=) Unreal do crash on me too ( in windows ).

Sometimes it is not always the software bugs. It could be drivers. Linux itself has many old bugs in the X server and to work around it, you need more than one guy.

To parapharase;

"There are people getting shot in africa every day - you getting run over is not an issue..."

Honestly I do not care how many ****ty ports you are running, the editor is a a state currently where it is almost but not quite usable. Worse it's impossible for the users to trust a software that will randomly lock up or corrupt the screen to the point were you have to close and just hope the your recent edits are saved.

• Upvote 1

System:

What are you talking about? Lol, have you ever used other game engines? Like Unreal Engine 4 and Unity? I am sorry, but they are also do crush. And when it comes to games, and game making, you must use save button. And I must tell you, that your modeling and your programming can cause all these crashes you talk about, even if you use UE4 it will crash on you if you doing something wrong. GL with your project man. You are like a kid who don't like the bike, because it's purple. Bing the facts, and ppl will hear you. And all this stuff ppl writing here about bad Linux version often is because of drivers, or not supported version of Linux. Use Ubuntu with KDE it is more stable and you will be happy, if you are still not, then the problems is not in the engine.

Use Ubuntu with KDE

Bttzz.. wrong answer - only Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with UNITY desktop is supported.

In time you will learn for your self - for now you just another "forum hero" on my ignore list

System:

So here's a question then. I was into start with Linux a while ago but had to postphone that of various reason. However I'm just going to install it on a new harddrive for using with Leadwerks.

So Gentlemen. You who have the knowledge of Leadwerks and Ubuntu.

Which Ubuntu version and then... Unity, KDE or Cinnamom. I don't give a s***t about how it looks like. Which one to choose that works best with Leadwerks.

AV MX Linux

Perhaps we need a community debugging map or project. Just something filled with a bunch of **** so we can start a 'Instability Video Thread' or something on this Linux/SteamOS forum (anybody try running leadwerks on steamOS?). We can all try to duplicate the errors in our various OS/desktop environments. If we could all visibly see what our complaints amount to, it could help to determine which problems are inherent in the Leadwerks software versus issues with a particular OS/desktop environment. Pointing out the problems inherent in Leadwerks so they can get properly fixed should help smooth out the Linux experience overall.

• Upvote 1

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• 8 months later...

By my own practise in Linux (no matter what distro is) to avoid the LE crashes its need: installing a proprietary video drivers from official webpage whatever it is NVIDIA or AMD.. if you installing the video driver from driver manager it not work even the steam runtime itself will not start or its start but with bugs)) as the LE to..

native language: Greek.

foreign language:Russian,English

OS type:from 2009 is Linux Based ONLY!

I have not done any heavy duty use of the Leadwerks editor in Linux yet. So far "it seems" to behave as expected; I can create and move things around, alter the scripts, test the levels etc... Looks promising (Ubuntu 15.10) :-D

(code blocks on the other hand is completely borked on my system though; at least on the Unity Desktop)

Just for the heck of it I installed lxde on top of the default Unity desktop environment (came with openbox window manager as a bonus)...

With the default Unity Desktop, when "debugging" the default marble game, I get about 30fps barely sustained (erratic).

Debugging the same level under lxde or openbox gives a solid 60fps on the same machine!

I think I'll keep tweaking/exploring a little bit more before I finally settle down... :-)

I'm using Leadwerks Standard Edition on an unsupported Linux distribution (CRUX) and aside from known quirks with tiling window managers (i3), other niche window managers (swm + wmutils), and the fact that my distro didn't come with a 32bit openAL package (about 5 minutes of my time to write a port for), I haven't had functionality problems. Any "crash" that I've experienced has been due to my window manager not liking pop-up dialogues (such as warnings about real-time rendering or errors that I cause). None of those are the fault of Leadwerks as a product, I expect things like that to happen because I'm using an unsupported distro and DE/WM configuration. If those things did become a "show stopper" for me, I'd just install the recommended setup and drive-on.

So far, Leadwerks works as intended, is performant, and "breaks" where expected, which is no bother to me as those aren't actual "breaks" but minor quirks that quite honestly are not even worth complaining about.

GPG: 3694569D | Peppermint OS | i7 | GTX 960 | Github

• 1 year later...