"Enquiring minds want to know"

SavageDogg38

Nice! I loved your creativity with implementing the dynamic Megatextures. That was a good read too.

I wouldn't know where to start with that stuff though. People think I'm crazy doing assembly still for my C64, but these computers these days - now that's crazy. I figured using all these APIs - often old APIs - wouldn't be the most wise way to go. I guess I gotta start somewhere though.

I just wonder where I should start though: from the bottom with assembly and hardware or from the top with scripting languages interfacing yet another mid to high-level language. Honestly, I have an easier time with assembly, I'm always making progress, but the progress is slow and getting results is so tedious and discouraging - but I am getting somewhere with it though. From higher level languages, I sometimes get great results and fast too, but mostly pull my hair out with all these APIs.

I cannot afford Visual Studio so I use Code::Blocks on MinGW - gotta have windows for school even though I prefer Linux - and GLUT wont work. SDL does work though but not a lot out there in the way of tutorials for OpenGL in SDL. It's all Glut.

I'm liking Lua though. I've never used it before. It's an interesting language. I suppose I should just stick with that and do art, but I just cannot help myself form trying to peek under the hood.

Running on:

Microsoft 8 64-bit

10 gigs RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660

I tried it - sorta - I went to install it but it downloaded like 40 gigs of **** and counting and filled my 128gig solid state drive. I had to stop it before it filled my solid state; although, I have a Terra on disc. I don't know. I may give it another go. I just hate Microsoft so much - lol. I hate using it at all but school says I need Max and PS so I have it and never bothered with another partition or anything like that. I just want to get OpenGL working is all and I got SDL working in MinGW so so far so good. I'm hoping to get my hands on Leadwerks source someday - fingers crossed - so I'll need to give in sooner or later and get VS but... no rush. I still have a lot to keep me busy yet.

What I'm trying to do is learn to make shaders and learn how to make stuff like your megatextures. I want to do that kind of stuff along with what I already do which is very art oriented. I want to get well-rounded and learn to code too. I want to dig into the hardware with assembly and fine tune things. That's the plan, anyway. I still have a long way to go yet though so - yea.

I was actually looking at voxels. I think those are interesting. I wouldn't mind working on something like that. Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks for advise. I'll look into it again.

Running on:

Microsoft 8 64-bit

10 gigs RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660

I tried assembly language on a commodore 64 many years ago.It took me a whole evening to learn how to print my name on the screen.

I decided life was too short for that and learned c language. I also learned Pascal ,modular 2 and variouse versions of basic.Turbo pascal came along and killed off modular 2. Its all c+

for me now but I do miss blitzmax.

• Upvote 1

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

You are right. I don't know C++ but I like C. I still get a certain satisfaction with assembly that I just don't get from the others though. Something about logic circuits doing their thing, moving bits around. I just like it. I Still program the commodore although I use Sublime Text with Kickassembler now, but I have also starting ARM assembly on the Raspberry pi now too. I just like it. In fact, it is probably why I like C more than the others: because it still gives me some of that access to memory and bytes.

Running on:

Microsoft 8 64-bit

10 gigs RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660

Hey! Thanks! I finally caved in and got express but I will definitely look into that as well. I had no idea they had options like that for students. I was able to get a discount on Autodesk for school. I just had to show vidence I went to school is all. I also got a discount with Sketchfab too. Seems a lot of places offer something for students - and we need all the help we can getting. Hard to make money while in school full time to qualify for grants. Thanks again.

Running on:

Microsoft 8 64-bit

10 gigs RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660