SavageDogg38

Kickstarter for affordable motioncapture

Bought it. If it works as stated, we can use our motorized joints to let you control physically interactive hands.

I've worked with gyros and accelerometers - 6axis, these are nine, I think, which should be even more accurate. They certainly can be accurate enough to do motion capture. It's the same thing they use in Wiimotes - just one - and it does very well. The problem is making them affordable. The one's I have used cost around a hundred bucks for just one IMU. You can get one at radioshack for 30 but it isn't very good it's just an accelerometer and not very accurate either. However, Wiimot has an excellent one and look at the cost of the Wiimote: still expensive but not nearly as much. There is probably something to mass producing them to save on cost of material by bulk buying. So, it's possible. I've done motion tracking with Blender, object tracking, and it is such a tedious task. I can see these being very beneficial if done right. They certainly have the ability to do the job faster and easier.

Bought it too, been waiting for something like this to become affordable as it was only a matter of time. Hope it gets funded.

Yes, I too hope they make it. I think it's promising if everything works out. I know they have made things like this before that didn't fair too well, but I think it was mostly due to bad execution rather than a bad idea conceptually. They made a pen that was quipped with IMU and was used for modelling and sculpting, but it just didn't take off so well. Only time will tell.

Berkel ( http://brekel.com/ ) also has a 2 products that allow people with a kinect to do their own motion capture and facial capture to fbx, bvh and txt formats. If combined with Josh's potential app http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=307414717&searchtext=boner vote for it, and maybe a 3rd party re-targeting tool, you could probably come up with a very interesting motion capture workflow.

Can't wait for this to come in and although delayed it shouldn't be too long....

So gotta ask the question? Did you end up buying it Josh? Would this be something the engine would support eventually?

Cheers

I just received my delivery address email for it from kickstarter yesterday. Its counting down.

Me to. Can't wait. I've been looking for something like this for a long time. It was just never affordable. This will go nicely with my facial motion capture rig.

Me to. Can't wait. I've been looking for something like this for a long time. It was just never affordable. This will go nicely with my facial motion capture rig.

You got facial motion capture :o awesome (closes thing I have is facerig)

Not yet, haven't received a tracking order which they said they will provide so I'm not holding my breath.

Did you order one also Mack?

Yep, I ordered one as well. The lack of communication on their side is getting a little annoying and there appears to be no specific order in which they are shipping. I would have thought they would have done it by your backer number but this doesn't seem to be the case.

The lack of communication on their side is getting a little annoying

Yeah I certainly agree. They had plenty of updates at first but, it seem that everything went to a stand still when they had problems with the straps.

Speak of the devil, and they send an up date.

Last Batch Was Shipped

To date we have shipped over to 250 Perception Neuron Kits to backers and were about to deliver a shipment of over 900 on June 8th.

Unexpected Production Delays

And then something unexpected happened. During a routine QC check we found some cracks in some of the housings. After some quick investigation, we surmised an issued at the plastics molding fabricator.

This was part of our second batch of 1500 housings order. (Please note that the first batch sent to date is not affected by this - the first batch was part of our first order of 500 units). It seems the factory used incorrect temperature during the injection molding process rendering the plastic brittle. So when the screws apply too much pressure they may cause it to crack. See pictures. We therefore stopped the whole shipment and a new batch of housing is being delivered. This unfortunately pushing our shipping schedule one month behind for anyone who has not received their units so far. We apologize for this, and we are working to resolve the issues with our suppliers. As we have explained many times PN is a complex piece of precision equipment that is hand assembled out of many parts. It is unique and a first of the market. It is NOT a mass produced product churned out on an assembly line in millions of units. Backers who do not understand these concept should request a refund through contact (at) neuronmocap (dot) com.

The Good News!

On the bright side we have a new package of software/firmware that has just been released online at neuronmcap.com > Support > Downloads.

First - New FIRMWARE to update your Neurons for even better performance using NEURON DOCTOR

Second - New AXIS NEURON with updated features

Third - New NEURON DATA READER SDK

Fourth - New UNITY READER SDK

We're excited to see what some of our backers have already done and what the rest of you will do once your suits arrive. If you have any questions please send them to contact (at) neuronmocap (dot) com. This is still the best way to reach us and we'll work on getting back to you guys as quickly as we can.

Sounds like there are a few backers here, interesting to see if there will be any Leadwerks integration?