[Linux, non-US] Numeric inputs completely unusable

Guppy

Running the editor like this;

LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8 steam steam://rungameid/251810

Seems to completely negate the problem - but when you launch from steam or the desktop icon the LC bit isn't there - and that's how most new users will launch it.

Now should they happen to come from a civilized country where comma ( , ) is used as the decimal separator then using the editor is going to be frustrating to the point where I think they will just flat out quit.

If you want to play along you can experience it your self by running;

LC_NUMERIC=en_DK.UTF-8 steam steam://rungameid/251810

or even;

LC_ALL=en_DK.UTF-8 steam steam://rungameid/251810

if it fails you may have to install aditional code pages.

(The above commands use en_DK rather than da_DK because I don't like my OS speaking danish - feel free to change to your liking)

a few examples of what goes wrong;

1)

With eg. scale the 2nd input box is blank - you can enter something there but as soon as you select another entity and select the first again it's blank.

The values seem to get saved but suffer from the same bug as the rest.

2)

If I enter 1.5 into a field it immediately becomes 1.0 when the input looses focus, if I enter 1,5 it will change to 1.5 but reset to 1.0 once you do the entity dance from #1.

3) Some values ( seemingly at random, but always the same ones ) will be initialized as 1000000.0 - for instance the light range, changing it to something less will give either bug #1 og #2

4) Rotating, Scaling or Translating using the mouse on a single axis will enter random crazy values but seems to work in the scene. If you don't have the correct tab open this one is easy to miss unless your working spot lights since the light goes absolutely haywire.

This may seem like a low priority thing since it has a work around, but like I said new users won't know to do this and will experience the editor as being hostile and most likely quit ( and tell their friends the software is a piece of garbage ).

If you doubt that will be the reaction the feel free to observe what happens when people who never before used blender tries to ( even experience 3d modelers ) - the internet is full of those less than happy accounts ;)

I'd be happy to supply a test map, but it would just look like I drunkenly entered random numbers, run the editor with the above LC values instead.

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

Oh and you need to completely quit steam before running the commands - incidentally this makes LE render the viewports black so you need to delete the settings files, exit steam and then run with different language settings.. :|

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

The black viewports are most likely caused by all colors being saved as decimal values in the config file.

Should you ever accidentally launch the editor form steam or the icon it will break the config and you will need to delete it and re-import all your projects again. (also for some reason it seems to break WSAD and scroll wheel in the main view port?)

System:

• 3 weeks later...

This is supposed to be fixed with the setlocale command but it seems to not work and I don't know how to test this.

It's a total non-issue on Windows and Mac, it just works.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

South Africa uses comma for decimal separation, so using the en_ZA.UTF-8 for your entire testing system should do the trick but is a bit overboard. This can easily be done in the Ubuntu graphical language settings.

There are two easier ways: Using the language settings in Ubuntu just set regional formats to any locale that uses commas, like German. That won't change your language, just the way numbers are handled.

A third way is to just export LC_NUMERIC=<any locale with comma> in your Leadwerks start script. If you are doing everything right in your code this should work anyway.

[...] and I don't know how to test this.

[...]If you want to play along you can experience it your self by running;

LC_NUMERIC=en_DK.UTF-8 steam steam://rungameid/251810

or even;

LC_ALL=en_DK.UTF-8 steam steam://rungameid/251810

if it fails you may have to install aditional code pages.

[...]

I'd be happy to supply a test map, but it would just look like I drunkenly entered random numbers, run the editor with the above LC values instead.

It's a total non-issue on Windows and Mac, it just works.

Have you actually tried exiting the editor, deleting the settings and then changing the system numeric format to have use period ( . ) as 1000 seperator and comma ( , ) as decimal seperator ?

Because the problem seems to be that there is no conversion from local input to what the editor uses internally - heck it even seem to save it in local format.

System:

To install additional languages ( should pull in the all other localization as well, but you can choose only to use numeric formats )

http://wiki.bitcurator.net/index.php?title=Internationalization_and_Ubuntu_14.04LTS#Language_Support_in_Ubuntu_14.04LTS

System:

• 1 month later...

Deleted my settings file and updated the client and it does infact appear to be working now, how adding the instruction to encode characters with UTF8 fixed anything numeric is beyond me tho ( numbers are never different in ISO/ANSI and UTF8 ).

For reference the settings file resides in ~/Documents/Leadwerks ( Leadwerks.cfg )

After deleting it all your projects will need to be re-imported.

System: