Flightsim

freeflyklown

Hi,

I am looking for an engine to create a flightsim. Just reading trough LE features list, it seems that the terrain system is capable of rendering a big enough landscape.

I still have a few questions tough:

- Are there any volumetric clouds (like FSX, or Xplane, or the Strike Fighters Series) implemented?

- What is the max terrain (in square kilometres) size with decent resolution that the terrain engine supports?

- is it possible to create terrain out of DEMs? Or does it only work trough heightmaps?

- Can LE be programmed in C# in an object oriented manner? All the example code a saw so far looks more like a procedural approach.

- Is C# really 100% supported? Or is it better to use C++?

- I saw one user works on a flightsim project as well (Lumooja). It would be nice if this user could share some experiences using LE for this project.

Thanks already in advance

Andi

I believe max terrain size is 4096x4096. I would also presume that you can scale that to any size you want, but I don't know, since I don't use terrains. (So I couldn't answer your other terrain question)

LE does have an object orientated wrapper, called LEO, which stands for Leadwerks Engine Objects. It certainly works in C++ not sure about C# - I suspect there's a different 'Project' geared towards C# usage.

I also think volumetric clouds would be up to you to create. There are probably loads available for free.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

- I saw one user works on a flightsim project as well (Lumooja). It would be nice if this user could share some experiences using LE for this project.
There was a discussion on flightsims in the old forum:

http://forum.leadwerks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6037&start=0&hilit=canard

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

If you setup the terrain to 4096x4096 with 10 meters per polygon. You would have a 40km x 40km area. Actually I think that you can load also multiple terrains, and then move the other terrains to make a continuous 3x3x4096x4096 terrain combo.

You could probably even load then also 16, 25, 36, etc... terrains and have a 1440 km x 1440 km mega terrain.

- Are there any volumetric clouds (like FSX, or Xplane, or the Strike Fighters Series) implemented?

It's easy to create an emitter that simulates a volumetric cloud.

- What is the max terrain (in square kilometres) size with decent resolution that the terrain engine supports?

What is decent resolution? The maximum terrain resolution is 4096x4096, and you can scale it however you want.

- is it possible to create terrain out of DEMs? Or does it only work trough heightmaps?

Yes. Someone posted an example of this recently in the gallery.

- Can LE be programmed in C# in an object oriented manner? All the example code a saw so far looks more like a procedural approach.

Yes. We find programmers generally prefer the procedural approach, at least for getting started, but OO works too.

- Is C# really 100% supported? Or is it better to use C++?

C# is supported by the community. I can't guarantee the completeness of it. C++ is officially supported.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Actually I think that you can load also multiple terrains, and then move the other terrains to make a continuous 3x3x4096x4096 terrain combo.

You could probably even load then also 16, 25, 36, etc... terrains and have a 1440 km x 1440 km mega terrain.

CMIIW, but this is (was?) NOT possible. You can only have one terrain.

I have been able to load multiple terrains, haven't checked if it still works, but it worked in LE 2.28. I also don't know if they really work properly then, other than just being loaded and visible.

Actually I think that you can load also multiple terrains, and then move the other terrains to make a continuous 3x3x4096x4096 terrain combo.

This is not possible.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 6 years later...