Model editor freaks out

Hello everyone,

So I'm trying out Leadwerks on Linux, since I bought it yesterday. And the animation screen has a bug in it. Parts of the model keep appearing and dissapearing. Causing the screen to flicker. This is running the Steam Leadwerks version without any beta opt ins. Here are my pc specifications.

Antergos (Arch Linux)

Linux 3.16.1-1-ARCH

Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Nvidia 340.32 Driver

I hope this is enough information. I'd be happy to provide more to help Leadwerks become even better.

[media]

[/media]

Regards,

Gyrth.

I tried it with the NVidia 343.13 beta drivers and got this message:

"Failed to initialize graphics. Please ensure your graphics hardware is compatible and install new graphics drivers."

Are you sure you installed it correctly? I use the same driver and it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Additional information about the driver ( it's the "fglrx-updates" that is distributed with ubuntu, ie what 90% using ubuntu and AMD cards will be using )

$ fglrxinfo
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series 
OpenGL version string: 4.3.12798 Compatibility Profile Context 13.35.1005

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

I am seeing the exact same issue in LE 2.50.

I've tried 3 separate Windows systems having 3 different videocards, but it doesn't seem to matter. "Groups" inside an animated model are switching on and off. It must be a relatively new issue though, models that were always fine now have this problem in the 2.5 modelviewer.

Oddly, when loading the same model inside a (Blitzmax) program and then using a debug build instead of release, it does not happen. Also, when not animating, the flickering stops (the group stays either visible or invisible). Hope this helps.

desktop: Quad core Q6600 + 4GB + ATI HD4890 + XP

laptop: Dual core T6400 + 4 GB + NVidia 9600M GT + Vista 32

• 1 month later...

This still happens with Nvidia's latest beta drivers that has some fixes concerning corrupted rendering.

Fixed rendering corruption that sometimes happened when calling DrawElementsInstancedBaseVertexBaseInstance(), DrawElementsInstancedBaseInstance(), or DrawArraysInstancedBaseInstance()

So if you thought the driver bug was related to these it apparently isn't. Here are the full release notes: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/788791

• 2 months later...

As far as I can tell, the latest stable Nvidia driver has eliminated all similar remaining corruption issues in other games and applications except Leadwerks. http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/81252

This issue deserves more attention because the model viewer is essentially useless on Linux this way as 90% of the model seems to be invisible at any given time.

• 4 weeks later...

I did some (fairly superficial) reading in regards to OpenGL context sharing so I don't know how helpful this is but it seems that in GLX you might have to share explicitly before the context is active for the first time. Is there any kind of "sloppiness" in the code that's in there because it works Windows and you didn't expect different behavior with GLX?

I'm asking around, I have access to a few porters and devs that might know what could cause this behavior.

Nvidia is the most likely entity to be able to answer this.

Trying to make non-shared contexts would be a real mess. I don't even know if that is the cause, I just speculated that because I didn't know what else it could be.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Nvidia is the most likely entity to be able to answer this.

Another video on the subject this time with voice added to hopefully get the point across that this bug is not Nvidia specific.

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

Another video on the subject this time with voice added to hopefully get the point across that this bug is not Nvidia specific.

I do not know if this helps, but it looks like AMD is having problems with flickering all over the place:

https://www.google.se/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=radeon+hd+6850+linux+catalyst+driver+flickering+site:forums.amd.com

I found some Linux Catalyst 13 dirvers in the mix and various cards including 6850 so do you see this problem in other OpenGL apps?

I do not know if this helps, but it looks like AMD is having problems with flickering all over the place:

https://www.google.se/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=radeon+hd+6850+linux+catalyst+driver+flickering+site:forums.amd.com

I found some Linux Catalyst 13 dirvers in the mix and various cards including 6850 so do you see this problem in other OpenGL apps?

No - which is not much of a supprise as it seems to be a windows issue with 13.12 ( the "linux" google picks up on is from the page tree in the side bar )

System: