Poor testing performance

insomniac_lemon

I've noticed during the testing, performance is really bad.

Whether it's the AI testing level (3-10 FPS), 2 lights+floor+kicking around a box, or a particle emitter with high particle count, as soon as something starts happening it is visibly choppy. It is bogged down from 200 FPS to around 20 FPS with hardly anything going on, and I don't see why that could be, it's not like many unnecessary things are being rendered. (the moving platform level has more lights and moving shadows, unless that's different because the fixed movement path allows the shadows to be buffered)

Now my computer is a bit outdated (i7 860 CPU, GTS 450 GPU, 8 GBs of RAM), but it doesn't seem like it should be having this much trouble just from lighting, especially when I can play other games on medium/high graphics with better performance.

I'm not sure if this is a general issue, as I've only tried the Linux version, so it very well could be only an issue on that version of the software.

Yeah, a bit better, but still choppy. The AI level gives me around 7-15 FPS, which is uncomfortably slow. It's especially odd because it's not even rendering at 1920x1080, it's 1024x768.

Actually, even having lights enabled in the viewport makes it hard to navigate the AI scene in the editor.

EDIT: Ok, I think I solved this. If I close Steam and Chrome, the game performs fine (mostly, still some minor lag spikes when firing at enemies).

It also performs fine (with Steam and Chrome open) if I switch the editor's render mode to textured (turning lighting off).

So maybe it's a memory thing? My memory usage (with Steam and Chrome open) is 3.5 GiB.... maybe it's hitting the limit of memory a 32bit app can access? Is it running it [the game code] as 32bit?

EDIT2: Seems funky. Got it rendering in 1920x1080 now, with only the editor (rendering in wireframe) and Steam open, the AI level runs at 3 FPS just walking. Closing Steam, it's perfectly fine until combat starts (which gets choppy from gunshots/hits?), until the end of the level.