Linux Project Manager causes IDE crash

RichL

Project Manager causes crash in Beta 3.x, 3.3 and 3.2

Leadwerks steam (indie)

Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS x64

Clevo gaming laptop (Intel HD and AMD Radeon 8970M GPU)

AMD Catalyst 14.9 driver installed

Intel GPU drivers NOT installed

Ubuntu converted to Kubuntu running Gnome (tried Unity display manager, same result)

Leadwerks does run fine but I cannot create a new project

Start Leadwerks via Steam build 428249

Go to File -> Project Manager

New Project (project Type Lua)

Enter Name MyTestGame

Enter Author Rich

Enter Copyright Rich

Click OK

Displays the following Projects

MyGame

MyTestGame

Select MyTestGame

Click OK

Briefly shows game editor/IDE and closes

Have deleted Leadwerks from the entire SteamApps/Steam Common Leadwerks folder and re-installed

Same result

Also have tried to use Project Manager to load the MyGame project, IDE just closes

No feed back by crash in either case, but it DOES create the new project under projects, attempting to import the project results in the IDE crashing, also clicking Cancel causes it do crash as well

Tried September archive release (3.2) same result.

Deleted Leadwerks from SteamApps/Steam Common again and tried September release again

If there are any logs I can send let me know, but I do accept that it may be that I an running a Ubuntu to Kubuntu convert, just looking for some pointers before I go an rebuild back to clean Ubuntu 14.04

cheers

rich

Well, I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu and I literally cannot install the AMD drivers.

You cannot install Ubuntu with newer graphics cards because the screen just turns black. (I guess BIOS is starting to support hardware acceleration now, something like that) Fortunately, this machine has an Intel graphics chip, so I was able to install with that, then I plugged in the ATI card and installed those drivers. Now the machine only boots into a purple screen, unless I boot in safe mode, which I assume disabled graphics acceleration.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I have a r9 290 working flawless with a fresh Kubuntu install without any problem. Are you trying to install the fgrlx from ubuntu propietary driver menu? I wouldnt recommend so, better download catalyst from the official page.

Also dual graphic systems do not work well in ubuntu (I do have a Optimus laptop and its a pain in....). Better use a cpu sustem rather than a apu based one.

Yes, but you cannot install Ubuntu with newer GPUs. The screen just turns black. This is a common problem I found when I searched for it.

This seems to be the fix for all Linux problems lately, so you might also try it:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/11045-my-material-will-always-be-purple-or-green/#entry80477

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Nope, not solving anything. Here is my output when creating(successful) and loading (crash) a project:

Syncing Addons...
Initializing...
Initializing OpenGL4 graphics driver...
OpenGL version 441
GLSL version 440
Device: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

.....(Many successful Loads)

*** Error in `./Leadwerks': free(): corrupted unsorted chunks: 0x09c8d9c0 ***
Aborted (core dumped)
Game removed: AppID 251810 "Leadwerks Game Engine", ProcID 3004

Weird to hear about that Ubuntu bug. As i told you , I have a r9 290 working flawless with a fresh Kubuntu install .

Dont know if that could help:

The most common causes for this type of corruption are (1) using an uninitialized pointer and (2) writing more data into memory than was allocated for the buffer into which the data is being written.

I got the 290 working. You CANNOT run an ATI card with a CPU that has built-in graphics. You can't have it in the same machine.

I'm testing it now, over and over, with absolutely no problems. Do you guys happen to live in a region that uses funny marks for decimal places, or anything like that?

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/11045-my-material-will-always-be-purple-or-green/#entry80477

Yes, but I tried thas solution andits not working. Are you using the lastest catalyst drivers?Not the open source one by default in ubuntu.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux%20x86_64

The error seems like a overwriting memory space error or an overwritten pointer ( it seems that when switching to the project manager it destroys the working window and when loading a new project, creates it back and gives that memory allocation error).

It doesn't create or destroy a window, it just hides it.

I installed my driver from Ubuntu's built-in "Additional Drivers" interface.

The ubuntu aditional drivers just lets you choose between raw and outdated fgrlx and open source drivers. As stated in the posts above, users having the issue are runing the lastest amd catalyst fgrlx drivers( I pasted you the link above for 290 card).

EDIT: When the manager loads a new project, it removes the demo models and textures and loads them again. Could the problem lay in here? A bad alocation?

Not sure if this helps, and apologies for the rather garbled post below, but I have got it all working on Ubuntu 14.04 with the latest AMD drivers. Config is an Intel embedded GPU and a discreet AMD GPU which is typical laptop config.

Tested the project manager and it now works reliably.

Make absolutely sure you have never installed the Intel graphics drivers (they only support OpenGL3 on Linux anyway), as far as I can work out you can not uninstall them cleanly enough to make the AMD install work.

First

Installed steam via terminal (sudo apt-get install steam)

rebooted

Steps...sort of.

open "Files" the filemanagler

go to properties

select behaviours tab

select the option "Run executable text files when they are opened"

select close

open a terminal to set a root password (makes the AMD installer behave correctly whe you run it .. the prompting does not work correctly)

sudo passwd root

still in terminal (will probably fail as you generally will not have them installed)

remove older open source AMD drivers

sudo apt-get remove fglrx fglrx-amdcccle

(shut down and POWER OFF LAPTOP Ubuntu has a weird bug where it does not power off laptops correctly and reset the hardware)

Download the amd-catalyst-14-9-linux-x86-x86-64.zip for AMD's website

Extract the files

Double click on amd-driver-installer-14.10.1006.1001-x86.x86_64.run

enter root password

you should get a warning (cant remember the text exactly)

This warning is about looking in the log file "usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log"

DO SO, it has a list of application tools that are required to be installed via apt-get (I lost my list of this in a reboot), select cancel to look in the file.

Repeat until this warning goes away

Now finally you can select the option to "Generate Distribution specific driver package"

Exit.... do not install by default (even if it prompts you)

in terminal go to directory where you originally extracted the AMD driver, the deb packages should be there.

sudo dpkg -i fglrx_14.100-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i fglrx-amdcccle_14.100-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i fglrx-dev_14.100-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

reboot and it all should be good.

I have the above deb packages that I can post if I am allowed to, but they are probably specific to my build so your mileage may vary.

cheers

rich

remove older open source AMD drivers

Done it without success, still same error.

You are installing fgrlx_14.100 and error comes with version: fgrlx_14.301 (AMD Catalyst 14.9)

BTW, the correct way to avoid corruptions or blank screens would be:

Try to completely remove your ATI drivers from your system:

sudo apt-get purge "fglrx.*"

Remove your xorg.conf

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Reinstall xorg completely

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64

Re-configure Xorg

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Reboot

sudo reboot

Can others confirm they also have an Intel CPU (I think they all have integrated gfx now) with an AMD/ATI card? That sounds like a bug I can report to AMD.

Can others confirm they also have an Intel CPU (I think they all have integrated gfx now) with an AMD/ATI card? That sounds like a bug I can report to AMD.

I can confirm I have a Intel 2600k with AMD integrated chipset on the motherboard, I wouldn't think it would affect it due to I disabled it at the bios Level.

I might try going back to the previous driver and see if that fixes the issue. It works stable inside the default MyGame which is what I am currently doing however I am not able to do any C++ due to the error, Fingers crossed AMD can release a bugfix.

Let's hope for the best, but I do not expect a fast response. This will be my last AMD GPU untill they reconsider their linux driver department, linux it's been a pain since I boght it.

Thanks Josh for getting so involved in providing technical help to your community, wish more CEO spent so much time and effort getting feedback about theis product from customers like you do. Priceless!! You've got a fan! :D

I've reported issues in the past and gotten a fix in the next update. I just haven't had to do it in several years. Until this came up, I considered AMD drivers to be on par with Nvidia. So hopefully everything will be fixed up quickly.