Video Conference

Josh

Yeah...and that he looked like a neanderthaler. biggrin.png

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

Roland did play guitar for us.

Yeah, it was waaaaaaaay too short, though. Next time, we want more. :)

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

If I remember correctly these were recorded last time and posted on this site...in case people couldnt make it and wanted to at least watch the conversation..

(hint, hint)

• Upvote 1

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

Maybe next time it will be recorded. I liked the chat because it's a good way to get ideas across. It's kind of hard to do that in text sometimes.

Here's a couple of articles I was talking about.

The day the game industry died:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18608_the-day-gaming-industry-died-impressions-from-e3-2010.html

Part 2:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18609_more-proof-video-game-industry-out-ideas-e3-2010.html

The games industry has had a massive problem from day one, one that nobody is quite sure how to fix. This problem is the reason thousands of arcades had to close down after the 80s, and it's why Atari, Sega, NEC and countless other electronics giants had to bail out of the console business after losing millions. It's the reason why even Microsoft has lost billions on its gaming division.

The problem is that video game players simply won't keep playing without a new gimmick every five years or so. Where people have been happy watching celluloid movies for like 80 straight years, for whatever reason gamers won't keep playing games unless given a completely new format every half decade.

So in that context, these types of headlines aren't too surprising:

Annual Profit Falls 52 Percent for Angry Birds Maker Rovio

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/annual-profit-falls-52-percent-for-angry-birds-maker-rovio/?_r=0

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Maybe next time it will be recorded. I liked the chat because it's a good way to get ideas across. It's kind of hard to do that in text sometimes.

Here's a couple of articles I was talking about.

The day the game industry died:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18608_the-day-gaming-industry-died-impressions-from-e3-2010.html

Part 2:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18609_more-proof-video-game-industry-out-ideas-e3-2010.html

[/size][/font][/color]

So in that context, these types of headlines aren't too surprising:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/annual-profit-falls-52-percent-for-angry-birds-maker-rovio/?_r=0

Not so clear cut. Some genres have indeed died (quests anyone?) and some brands went into obscurity. However we have titles like Call of Duty that have been out for 10+ years and are going strong. (No offence) but who buys that **** anyways?

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

What I got from it was there is the gamers who will always buy games, and then a huge group of casuals that will only buy into a new gimmick and then lose interest. First there was motion control, which is why the Wii did better than the other consoles. The next gimmick was mobile, and now that is fading. Until a new gimmick is thought of (VR?) gaming will stay focused on the PC primarily.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

What I got from it was there is the gamers who will always buy games, and then a huge group of casuals that will only buy into a new gimmick and then lose interest. First there was motion control, which is why the Wii did better than the other consoles. The next gimmick was mobile, and now that is fading. Until a new gimmick is thought of (VR?) gaming will stay focused on the PC primarily.

Indeed, games for soccer moms is a very lucrative business but also a very slippery one. In case of Angry Birds I think they needed to diversify earlier before they lost momentum. As for VR, its very very cool, however I'm slightly sceptical, ie. anything that requires additional hardware (headset, connectors/receivers, virtual guns, etc.) is a niche market much like 3D television with glasses. Once we get to a stage where your PC or games console will be able to tap into your optical nerve and project 3D imagery without any additional soft or hardware... but who would want to live in such world. :)

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Cryteck or Bioshock game makers had bad times recently financially also , not only small mobile companies , this can come from not enought diversification, bad management and decisions etc ...

Plants Vs Zombies was a mobile game, they choosen to go bigger and they are successfull on consoles with a great TPS game now, so they taken a good strategy compared to Angry Birds makers company.

These articles are not right in all points.

-Mobile is growing, small games are played by any people , and more and more people buy new phones, read some game industry articles (the good ones) talking about mobile growth. In software companies they are all making mobile versions of some important parts of their software. Mobile is becoming more and more present , IOS metal running battlefield is one example of some new directions some are taking.

-Console market is strong example Sony just reached 8 millions people that baught PS+.

- Good made Retro games are very popular and sell a lot : Shovel Knight

- Simple 3D but entertaining games are successfull and work on many supports : Limbo

- Players like big productions : Witcher 3, Dragon Age inquisition, AC games, Mass effect, COD , GTA, WatchDgos ...

Some of these games exist from long years and will stay here for long time

- Some companies are confident in their software not in hardware

Nintendo, from quality games of the NES until today with Mario Kart 8 or Mario World 3D on WIIU , these are master pieces of gameplay and real entertainment . Blizzard is here from long time and making new things also (hearthstone, overwatch) and many others.

Conclusion : Make good games smile.png

Stop toying and make games