ok just a random question

TheDrkMstr

Someone yesterday in real life suggested adding support for consoles. In the past I have always ignored consoles but their performance is good enough now that there's no reason we can't do this. Maybe...???

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

ok sorry i was busy and counldnt get on till now, ok that would be great josh, if you could find away i would gladly pay for a module wether it needs standard or not, i would spend possibly no more than $100 for the console module, reasoning being it would require me to pay $100 for indie verson (i already own so that not a concern), $100 when i can get my team together for shandard edition, but i figure hitting a $300 dollar for an xbox one module would be ok or $50 and add diffrent modules at this price one for ps4, xb1, ios, and android which would up the price to $400 all around softawre.. this is what i suggest but im not you or your staff and im sure if possible your priceing will be fair.

@TheDrkMstr - I wouldn't be so much concerned about LE console module pricing (if it were to be developed) as much as signing a developer contract with Microsoft and Sony.

• Upvote 2

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

I agree with Olby. Josh if you thought mobile was a lost cause then console would seem to be going up the same tree as it's the same idea. Hardly nobody will buy one if they can just develop the game on Windows/Linux and the only need to have a console license is when you are ready to release your product. You'll get the same result as mobile. Very few ppl buying it up front.

• Upvote 1

It really depends on how easy it is for developers to get a dev license, and how easy it would be for them to deploy it, because that determines the market size, which in turn determines the pricing. If only a few people buy it then the price would have to be $1000 or higher. If people will buy it en masse just because they think it's cool, then the price can come down a lot, and I could see a low-price console dev solution fueling more growth of the user base. So yeah, more research is needed.

Not something I'm going to worry about while there's still lots of good stuff to add to the software, but it might be an option in the future.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

@TheDrkMstr - I wouldn't be so much concerned about LE console module pricing (if it were to be developed) as much as signing a developer contract with Microsoft and Sony.

microsoft will eventually be doing something like ouya and all retal xbox ones are rigged as a dev kit and eventually self publishing will be on xbox one so im not to conserned about signing a contract but am at the same time cause the id@xbox is still in beta so it may be 2015 till i can do so... i dont know ps4 i think they are a bit more closed in terms of getting in

microsoft will eventually be doing something like ouya and all retal xbox ones are rigged as a dev kit and eventually self publishing will be on xbox one so im not to conserned about signing a contract but am at the same time cause the id@xbox is still in beta so it may be 2015 till i can do so... i dont know ps4 i think they are a bit more closed in terms of getting in

Well, why hasn't this happened already? The console has been out for a year, and all we have is vague contradictory PR statements.

yes i agree josh im just going off of info i do know... and i would like to release on steam but i dont want to accout for thousands of diffrent pc rigs with xbox one its one spec thats it this is the reason consoles do well with developers who are part of id@xbox or with publishers

If I am not wrong you can not even burn a cd for your personal use without having X-Box/Playstation licence

To obtain the licence you must be something more than a serious hobbyest game programmar. they are quite selective as far the quality of the games is concerned

Last, it is rather expensive

That's what I read soewhere, at least

• Upvote 1

I think the appeal for most users would be to be able to play their own game on the system. Even the PS4 requires you to submit a concept and all kinds of stuff, so it's necessarily tied to a commercial product. That cuts the potential market down quite a lot, because plenty of people would just like to show their simple game off to their friends. So it looks like this is still a strictly professional thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiousity, I went through the XBox developer application process. Three weeks later, I got back a canned response:

Dear Josh ,

We’ve received your application successfully. We appreciate the desire you have to develop for Xbox One and the time you took to apply.

This is an automated email to let you know that we have reviewed your application. Unfortunately, based on the information we received, we are unable to provide you with development kits at this time.

Commonly, this is because we didn’t receive enough information about your studio! We base our decisions on the information you supply at the time of your application. If you forgot to add your studio’s website, or want to let us know about your Kickstarter launch, a new title, other titles you’ve worked on, new members of your studio, a contest you won, festivals you’ve entered, your studio’s YouTube channel, something we missed, or any other news about your studio, please let us know! Send us an email at id@xbox.com with the subject line “[Your Studio Name] – Application Update”, and we’ll gladly take a look. We really want to see what you’re up to! We spend a lot of our time checking out what our members are up to, and we’re constantly re-evaluating and updating applications on our end.

So yeah, if it's this hard for me, there's no way XBox is going to be an option for someone who just wants to play their own game on their console, and the whole "we love indies" thing is total BS.

• 1 month later...

i really dont care anymore im going to focus more on alienware alpha as a specific development area im not going to use xbox one, im personally just optimizing for an entry level alpha the $550 version i have been busy lately trying to get ideas rolling and get together a small team for the first game my team is coming up with. im sorry for taking so long to respond.

From what i seen, it seems it's lot more easy to get a game on PS4 that is more indie aware than Microsoft that is somewhat more closed to indies.

A game made with C4 for the PS4 http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/06/fat-princess-adventures-announced-for-ps4/

Another with Irrlicht to PS4 https://www.playstation.com/fr-fr/games/octodad-dadliest-catch-ps4/

If LE3 one day should go consoles perhaps the best choice could be the PS4.

Stop toying and make games