Multiple surfaces low performance?

nick.ace

So, I was trying to find out why my game's framerate wasn't the best, and I came across an unexpected discovery. When I have 6 separate car models in game, the framerate plummets. However, if I use the same car model, the framerate is more reasonable.

Anyway, I was just wondering, is this supposed to happen? I mean I only have 6 AI cars currently, but the performance seems a bit low. The FPS drops about 75% (like from 40 fps to 10 fps or something like that) once all 6 models are added.

Yeah, so each model is between 5k to 10k, and they only have one texture each, no bones, and the textures are 2k. Each material has three maps attached (a cubemap, a specular mask, and a diffuse). They also have wheels, but the wheel meshes are all the same, regardless of the body model, so that shouldn't do anything wrong. I can post a short video later to show the dip. It seems odd because I wouldn't expect that type of performance decrease.

I should also note that I am using a custom shader, but that shader is also used for the test with the 6 uniform cars.

That graphics card is described as " ultra powerfull" in review I just read.

Yeah, but that's in relation to the price and energy efficiency that it has. I've been pleased with the performance of the card considering that it has a ridiculously low power consumption rate. My processor to be honest is probably more of a bottleneck.

I guess related to this:

How many vehicles can be supported by Leadwerks? Was the vehicle class designed for dozens of vehicles or just a few?