2015 plans ?

YouGroove

Hi,

I am curious , so i am wandering what are the plans for LE3 in 2015 ?

This 2014 year has seeen many changes but focus was mainly on the Steam thing, not a lot on the 3D engine side.

We know that Steam and the LE3 Store will stay main subjects, but what can we expect on the 3D engine side in 2015 ?

- vegetation

- water system

- LOD support (static and animated models)

- more full screen effects (Ssao , Dof, motion blurr, tone mapping, eye adaptation) to have that in game options.

- DECALS : textures variation on walls and floor, like moss, ivy plants, dirt, destruction

- physics cloths system : capes, cloth parts, hair like pony tail , tent etc ...

- spherical harmonics to enhance overall visuals

- Diffuse-normal lightmapping shader support (usefull for distant objects to keep shadows with very low GPU use)

I mean features out of the box, and not something you must seek outside of LE3 Editor.

Because some essential points are already done, like for GUI, Agrorr's one is just the best affordable solution for LE3 today, thanks to him or encrypted publishing allowing a minimal protection for any people using LE3.

• Upvote 2

Stop toying and make games

Yes the first five are the most essentials i think, the others would be bonus for the overall graphics quality.

I did not pout CGS tools ,because i work mainly with Blender, if i use LE3 CSG this is more for prorotyping and putting invisible blocking voulumes.

I expect the first five things on your list above to be done in 2015. (As always, plans can and do sometimes change.)

Looking back at 2014, most of the development decisions I made were pretty good. I am happy with the approach of letting gameplay guide the development direction.

I really like how the FPS Weapons pack and zombies turned out, because it gave us a lot more tangible game scripting. I hope to add some more stuff like soldiers and vehicle AI so we can let that guide others who want to use that in a game or add their own scripted models.

• Upvote 6

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

By the way, I think it's important to say that it doesn't have to be all or nothing right out of the box. Specifically for water, I would be super happy to have even this prototype you worked on 4 years ago. I believe you did a temporary version for shadows sometime back and it made all the difference in the world!

And later you could add things like being able to change colors to make it like lava, green ooze, etc. (though I think maybe that's not the hard part).

• Upvote 1

@Josh

I'm really happy to hear that those top 5 will be making it! I'm happy with a lot of the new features introduce this year!

Haha good luck with vehicle AI! It is a TON of work. If you ever want to look at my scripts I'll gladly release them to you if you think it'll save you some time as I'll be working on the vehicle AI of my game for the next few weeks (I would release them to the community now, but the setup work is a bit involved). Of course, you'll probably implement it much better than me!

It benefits literally all users who use music and sound in their projects.

Everyone will use music and sounds in their games wink.png

It's like textures compressions, LE3 games was too heavy on small games when compression wasn't supported, now we can't imagine not having it.

I think it will be the same for sound, using some Ogg or MP3 formats should resolve that problem later.

@nick.ace

Hi, working myself on car AI, i would be very interested by your script, because i have had some working code until some gldrivers change some logic (axis or 0°-180° axis changes) and the code need to be reworked and i struggle a lot on this.

so if you please, be my guest.

thank you and

merry christmas to all !

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900HX - Nvidia RTX 3070 - 32 Go - 1To SSD - W11

@diedir

Yeah, sure! I was having trouble with rotations at first too, but I thought of a work around. Anyway, I'm not near my computer right now, or Internet for that matter, but I can send you the code in a few days. The a bunch of stuff specific to my game, but I'll also send some instructions on how to set it upa and use it. It's not complete though, but it's a start. I tried to keep the code efficient.