fwrite error 13?

TemplarAsh

Hi Guys,

I keep getting an fwrite error 13 when trying to run the game.exe after publishing. I was unsure if updating my files messed something up with the map so I completely deleted Leadwerks and reinstalled it. Then I created a new game with just a floor, lights and camera, tried to publish again and getting the same error.

Both the original map and this new basic test map runs inside Leadwerks, I just get this error after publishing and trying to launch the game via it's .exe.

This used to work just fine, not sure what broke. I tried both encryption and without encryption during publishing to no avail.

Thanks for any help!

~Ash

Hi Josh,

I checked file permissions, ran the .exe as administrator, compatibility mode, never prompt UAC, did several malware scans, a chkdsk on my primary drive, uninstalled my antivirus which was just microsoft security essentials, none of that helped.

I did find something interesting however...

If i move the game folder to my 1Tb data drive which is a SATA drive, it will run. My primary drive is SSD, a Samsung 840 Evo 43.7/250Gb free.

I will keep looking...hope this drive is not having issues.

***everyone back up your stuff!!!*** biggrin.png

~Ash

One other thing to mention...

My original project's .exe from a few months ago runs just fine still, but anything new coming out of the publisher is having an issue.

~Ash

Hi Josh,

I found out what was causing this issue, let me add some additional info.

I tried to install the latest paint.net, i kept getting an error...NSIS error writing temporary file. Make sure temp folder is valid. I tried all of the recommendations regarding the temp folder, permissions, path, etc., but none of that was an issue.

Some installers have this issue and others do not. This was happening because UAC was turned all the way to the bottom setting in control panel>user accounts>change user account control settings.

I tried the default on setting and the one just underneath that, both worked. I changed it back to the bottom setting and both programs stopped working again with the same write errors.

So it appears to be related to security permissions for certain installers and UAC being set to the bottom option.

I will test this on a 2nd pc and see what happens, unless someone beats me to it smile.png

~Ash

Leadwerks is designed to work even with UAC on maximum settings. This is why application data is stored in the user Documents folder, which has write permissions enabled even with UAC up all the way. Is your project located somewhere other than this?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.