Published game wont run

Imchasinyou

I would like to see the Engines GUI have a feature for flagging assets as either "include" or "ignore" so they're excluded when the game is built/exported as a binary.

Not sure if an opt-in or opt-out system would work best, but its wroth exploring.

This would make the flow of updating and further developing the game easier instead of having to delete and then re-import assets very time a build is performed.

We definitely will not implement a "tagging" system as described above. That process should be completely automated to be as simple as possible for the end user.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

We definitely will not implement a "tagging" system as described above. That process should be completely automated to be as simple as possible for the end user.

Automated behind the scenes tagging works, however automated stuff can often go rogue due to conflicts and/or bugs.

Would be nice to have the flag exposed via the API so it can be called on by advanced users if or when its needed.

Having the flag accessible is inline with the Leadwerks marketing material.

"At its heart, Leadwerks is a set of commands you can call in any order, at any time. We believe in giving the programmer direct control over the flow and execution of their application" - http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/programming?showbanner=0

Sometimes it isn't even possible to determine the resources loaded by code beforehand because the string containing the path is built up dynamically like the LOD-system I described earlier in this thread. You should definitely give the user a way to override the results of the automated process.

• Upvote 1

Maybe have a dynamic assets folder that is always exported no matter what and all other asset folders are scanned and only needed files from them are included. This way most projects can quickly and easily export to small optimized packages and advanced users have the option to always force include particular files. Or maybe a folder level checkbox instead of individual files to include/omit.

Check out my games: One More Day / Halloween Pumpkin Run

What would help is not having updates bring in the original files again if that file doesn't exist anymore. I delete files that the base LE project adds and when I update an existing project they are added back in. It should check if the file exists and if not just don't add it. Assume the reason it doesn't exist in an existing project is because the user deleted it, because that's probably the case. If not, the user can get it from another project or a new project and copy it over.

Usually the first thing I do on a new project is delete all the stuff I don't want, but updates bring them back in it seems.

• Upvote 1

excuse me - I have no idea what half of your responses even mean. I simply pointed out that you have the option to manually clean up your project folder that resolves the issue. I am sure Josh will do something in the near future that will accommodate this. As for your attitude and response to just a simple suggestion, it is completely uncalled for, but thanks for once again sharing with everyone the type of person you are.

@macklebee :

Take it easy, Imchasingyou is not so wrong when it comes to bigger content projects, or when you try some models but won't use them in the end. And publishing is some of the core functionnalities of the editor.

Sometimes it isn't even possible to determine the resources loaded by code beforehand because the string containing the path is built up dynamically like the LOD-system I described earlier in this thread. You should definitely give the user a way to override the results of the automated process.

@Ma-shell:

This is why i always use public Lua variable to laod models or prefabs (drag and drop model on panel script).

But it would possible having the exporter to scan all Load commands on Lua and C++ code and make a list of all used items by code also.

Usually the first thing I do on a new project is delete all the stuff I don't want, but updates bring them back in it seems.

@Rick :

You mean content from the FPS game ?

What i do :

Make my own folders like i done for the shoot em up kit :

-> Root folder of LE3 project

-> MyNewGame

-> models

-> scripts

This way i keep clean my project content and independent from any LE3 update smile.png

What i missing is the delete of original ressources, if you delete a .tx or .mdl , the original Tga or Fbx are not deleted unfortunatelly.

Stop toying and make games

But it would possible having the exporter to scan all Load commands on Lua and C++ code and make a list of all used items by code also.

In practice, it is impossible. There are too many variables that can influence what gets loaded. What if you have the user input a file path for instance (i.e. modded content)? And of course, you can have a custom filename that's name is based on different variables. That's also impossible to parse out. Like soldier2m.fbx could be the second male character that's a soldier. There are three variables right there. There needs to be some manual process involved for selecting runtime loading.

I guess you could always give the person the option of either the traditional route (macklebee's suggestion) or the automated option (Imchasinyou), then you get rid of both issues and everybody wins! :D

Im less concerned about winning. Im more concerned that its supposed to be "easy" as it is advertised. NO one knew that this was happening and when i sent the project to josh and he found out what was happening is when I opened the subject. IM trying to make it easier for those users that arent expert coders. Hell, I can barely mod a current script to make it what I want it to be. Yes, thats my fault but the coding stuff is not easy for me. Its not a tangible item I can hold and inspect to figure out. MY brain doesnt work that way. I know several people that have seen the engine and went elsewhere due to the fact that there is so much coding necessary to make anything work. I try to interest new ppl to the engine, alot of friends on my steam account of nearly 180 ppl wont even consider trying it out as its just too much. There are options out there and if i could, id like to narrow those down and bring more users to the community.

Is this my job or my responsibility? Absolutely not but when it comes to something I like and enjoy, I stand behind it whole heatedly, other than my friend Jamison, whom usually leaves me on the floor, alone. Damned green bottles I tell ya, their mean! I feel like if I have helped some one, Ive done something worth while for the day. Hell I even made a few tutorials that are on my YouTube page that contain the entire scripts needed and several responses have come back thanking me for them. It makes me feel good knowing some one got use from it.

Ill step down off my soap box now and let others talk knowing Ive made a difference in some ones use of the engine today!

Asus sabertooth 990FX, AMD FX 9590 , Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, 4 HDD's Western Digital Caviar Black set in Raid 0, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite, Asus Radeon R9 270 X 4GB, Corsair CM750M,

It actually is possible to automate this process if you aren't too strict about file paths. I would just match files by their lower-case name, with the directory removed. This would mean if you had two files called "brick01.tex" in different locations, and only one was used in a map, they would both be included. But I don't think that's a big problem.

However, I want to put a new build out on the default branch first, so I am only focusing on bug fixes right now.

• Upvote 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

..im still failing to understand, what is so big, fundamental problem here, so people getting frustrated on to personal level for no reason at all...far as i can tell, developer should know what media will go in to game, thus, have control over file size deployed with game..that will allow easy patching of already deployed game to players, instead of patching it with filesizes near HD capacity..in my very personal opinion, there is no reason to point at Josh as a author of the system, when we talk about 'easy of use or not' system..fact that he (Josh) complying for very bizzare requests I see here every now and then, is something everyone here should appreciate, because i would love to see any other forum where system designer willing to go route suggested by users, at such degree as Josh portrayed here...and keep in mind that complying for such requests eventually leading to some 'new problem of the century', not because system is bad, but because requests, which usually fall outside of scope what system really should do..just a thought..

• Upvote 3

there is no reason to point at Josh as a author of the system, when we talk about 'easy of use or not' system..fact that he (Josh) complying for very bizzare requests I see here every now and then, is something everyone here should appreciate, because i would love to see any other forum where system designer willing to go route suggested by users, at such degree as Josh portrayed here...

I dont think any one here is pointing at Josh as you suggest. Its a mere suggestion that apparently, he sees as a potential issue for users. Its hardly a bizarre request as even the lamest of game engines out there on this level have this functionality. I fail to see how this is causing you any distress as apparently, its not going to effect you in any way.

Any good system designer that wants to make their end product better and sell better and be more usable for the end user sits and reads the suggestions that the users have. ITS the only way to find a common middle ground and put out a product that will continue to sell. If it was said in the selling points of the engine on the steam page that there is very little you can do with out the skill of writing scripts, how many less copies would you expect would sell? In fact, so many users i have had contact with have stated this. its even stated in the reviews of the engine by the end users. If it was stated that you should import each model individually to see if that is going to work in your project and then remove it if it dont because it will get exported in the final project which in turn will make your project files about 4 times as it really needs to be, what do you think would happen.

No ones boots are getting pissed on here. I think its "bizarre" to resist against something that needs to get done. Apparently, its a relatively easy fix as its already under progress as I understand it.

If you dont mind please explain to me why this causes you such distress that it makes you want to come here and insult some one?

There is a common ground here and I think with discussion about the actual process, we can get there faster instead of wasting time because we dont understand or think the suggestion that is under way is not what they want.

• Upvote 1

Asus sabertooth 990FX, AMD FX 9590 , Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, 4 HDD's Western Digital Caviar Black set in Raid 0, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite, Asus Radeon R9 270 X 4GB, Corsair CM750M,

here are my results from this first day. One project published and reduced from 7GB to 136 MB. this project failed to load

A different project folder is 20+GB and was reduced to 3.70 GB and was missing textures from the terrain.post-12522-0-71242300-1420678682_thumb.png

Im saying this is a great start Josh. Thanks for the time to work this out.