Otter Demo

marchingcubes

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the mountain to turn to water'? Possibly thats where the camera dips below/into the terrain - I need to fix that.. but currently just an artifact of the way the camera is positioned relative to the player.

I already have to raycast to keep the beaver's tail mostly clear of the ground, so I guess I will do something similar for the camera.

• Upvote 1

Jumping isn't currently implemented.. will probably put it in at some point. Possibly in the next round of animation work I do.

Even for a limited-scope demo like this there is so much work to do, in so many different areas that keeping a priority list and staying focused on what is most needed for a playable experience rather than getting distracted by a million 'nice-to-haves' is necessary.

soundscape/soundtrack, for example, is higher up the list than additional character actions

• Upvote 1

As shadmar says, the water height is a world attribute, currently i turn on my water post effect when the camera's global Y is below the water height.

As far as detecting when the beaver is actually in the water for the purposes of triggering the swim animation (which is not currently hooked up in the latest vids) I use a piece of geometry conforming to the river/lake area which if the beaver is 'inside of', he will swim, and if outside, he will walk. This invisible 'water area' also serves as a navigation barrier for the bear, and can be used to confine the fishes' swim area.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...