Michael Betke

Enhanced Level Stats

Hidden

I would like to see some more infos for debuggin and watching the technical stuff on my level. I know I can enable "extended" stats but it's still very liited.

I would like to see:

FPS, RAM and VRAM usage for current level.

Drawcalls

Plus the stuff which is already included.

It does not have to something like Nvidias Perfect Hud ( http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfhud_home.html ) or with fancy bars but simple Infos to evaluate bottlenecks, overall performance and budget better. :)

Hidden

You could use SetStats(2) in framewerk, it shows "memory free" and "memory used" also.

FPS() exists too.

GameLib provides also CountAllEntities() which can be useful to see if your temporary entities are getting freed, like bullets.

Those can be used in Editor also, but you would need to write an entity script for that.

Hidden

Sorry I have NO idea of coding or such stuff. I'm an artist only and never had to bother with such stuff.

Coding and Character modelling are two big things in my life I'll never learn. :)

Hidden

The RAM is already displayed. I don't think there is any way to retrieve the VRAM used.

I think the most useful thing could be to show the time various subroutines take, like drawing terrain, drawing vegetation, shadows, etc. NVidia also has performance queries, so you can tell how long something takes on the GPU.

Hidden

The RAM is already displayed. I don't think there is any way to retrieve the VRAM used.

Yes you can! :)

If you can utilize the .Net Performance counters, you can get the working set and the virtual set used. I haven't done research to verify their accuracy, but it provides options! (And, don't re-declare the object in a loop. This is just an example)

System.Diagnostics.Process Process = new System.Diagnostics.Process();
Process = System.Diagnostics.Process.GetCurrentProcess();
DrawText(Process.VirtualMemorySize64, 0, 70);
DrawText(Process.WorkingSet64, 0, 90);

I think the most useful thing could be to show the time various subroutines take, like drawing terrain, drawing vegetation, shadows, etc. NVidia also has performance queries, so you can tell how long something takes on the GPU.

I agree. Determining where you graphics-dependent bottlenecks are is much more important.

Hidden

The thing is I have to take the computer rig of my clients into account. Some gouverntment companies use really old computers. And it wont be good if I give a visualization DVD to a client and it doesn't run smooth because its unoptimised.

This is something I have to take care of before launching my company. I rely on heavy optimisation of levels using all possible stats I can get. :)

Best thing would be an "automatic system detection" like some games offer. Call of Duty 4 for example. I'm not sure if my clients will know about shaders or terms like AA or Ambient Occlusion.