So I bought the C++ Upgrade, now I am having problems with teh LeadWerks editor

epsilonion

So after a day of having the Indie version I took the plunge and took the cash from my rent money and upgraded to the standard edition (via steam)..

so I opened the App.cpp in V studio compiled it and opened the LeadWerks editor to throw a floor and some walls down..

I noticed I had to save the map as start.map manually and when I tried to run the project I get a failed to launch error the .exe file.

The only way I can run the file is through the debug command in the Leadwerks editor program and none of my changes can be seen.

When I use the debug command in the LeadWerks editor I get this warning Lua sandboxing disabled.

I was hoping that I could drag and drop assets on to the map with the leadwerks editor and then do what ever coding i need to in lua and C++ like I have seen stated around here somewhere.

At the moment the only way I can see that I can put assets on a map is to hard code them in C++ myself...

I only upgraded because I thought that I would be able to drag drop assets and to code the stuff I want to in C++ etc etc..

Is this an error or is C++ for hard coding only?

Did you compile in Release mode in VS? There is a drop down at the top to switch between the 2. The debug play button runs the debug build, and the Run button runs the release build.

Also about seeing, do you have a camera in your scene? I can't recall if the C++ version has a camera or not.

Whenever you change your code in C++, you have to recompile it in VS (Debug and Release) to see that changes.

When you change things within your map in the LE-Editor, they should actually be loaded automatically. Maybe you forgot to save your map each time before you tried to run? If I remember correctly, the editor doesn't save automatically when you run, so you'll have to do that yourself.

a few things to help you debug;

• Did you infact start a new C++ project?
  • Are you editing the correct map? ( just opening a new project in the editor wont change the map for reasons unkown )
  • Are you using the FPS prefab? ( in this case you need to remove the camera in the C++ code or it wont work )
  • Have you compiled BOTH the debug and release version of the source?

As for the map needing to be called start.map - look for theese line in the App.cpp file;

std::string mapname = System::GetProperty("map","Maps/start.map");
Map::Load(mapname);

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

a few things to help you debug;

• Did you infact start a new C++ project?[/quote]

Yes and opened the solution in Vis studio

• Are you editing the correct map? ( just opening a new project in the editor wont change the map for reasons unkown )

Yes I am opening the start.map.

• Are you using the FPS prefab? ( in this case you need to remove the camera in the C++ code or it wont work )

Ahhhh did not know this did not see it in any documentation...

so this would be why the FPS prefab camera in LE editor when run and in the Vis studio editor are at different locations..

• Have you compiled BOTH the debug and release version of the source?

I have now thank you for this.. where did you get this information from? its not in the documentation I have read it all twice..

• As for the map needing to be called start.map - look for theese line in the App.cpp file;

std::string mapname = System::GetProperty("map","Maps/start.map");
Map::Load(mapname);

I realized this one as I have changed/loaded levels in lua before coming across to the standard edition but getting it all set up has been a pain TBH..

Thankyou for these notes they are helping a lot, I think some starting out in standard edition notes or documentation is needed because its not plug in and play like the LUA edition...

thank you again

• 3 weeks later...

I had Leadwerks 2 Windows version on my system. Then, I purchased the Leadwerks 3 Game Engine on Steam and never tried the my Windows version after I tried to upgrade it. I think part of the issue was both installs look at the same "projects" directory, so things just got really out of sync for the initial load. I'm currently work only with the Steam Leadwerks 3 engine (Lua) so haven't tried the full iteration with VS C++, but I at least got the editor craziness resolved with a fresh install of the Windows version. No this doesn't help, but just confirmation that some weird things can happen if you've dabbled with both versions.

ADDED: I went and look and noticed that my Windows version update is only showing version 3.0, while my Steam Leadwerks Game Engine version is up to 3.3. The project folder layout is different in the Windows version and it doesn't contain the FPSplayer.lua script that the 3.3 (Lua only) version has. So, now I'm wonder why my Windows version hasn't also progressed to 3.3 and what the real consequences of the differences are?!