Hangout Summary

nick.ace

For those that missed the meeting or couldn't attend, here is a summary of what was said (excluding some of the more ambiguous stuff) during the meeting. I might be a bit biased as to what I remembered, so please correct me if other important points were made! Specifically, I forget what was said about multiplayer.

Here are the most important key points imo:

1. Due to the success of the model packs, many more of them will come

2. Leadwerks did really well during the Winter sales (a bunch more business talk blah blah) so there is a possibility other employees will be hired to help Josh

3. The first three planned features of 2015 are vegetation, water (similar to LE2's water plane, so nothing too fancy), and user generated content (so users can sell their own models and scripts, Josh is currently working with Valve on this)

4. A plugin system will very likely not be added to the editor, although .dlls for the engine were encouraged

5. Post-effects will not be done by Josh, at least not in the near future

6. Josh wants more example games/scripts to help people make games more easily

Just to summarize:

Priorities:

-Water

-Terrain

-User generated content/Steam store

-Decals

-More scripts and example games

Unspecified (or I just forgot what the priority of these were):

-Roads (apparently terrain system was built with this in mind)

-Reintroduction of projected textures for lights

-Extended CSG tools

Not priorities:

-OGG support

-Shader effects

-Terrain holes

-Plug in system

-More accurate transparency effects

-Cutscene editor

• Upvote 4

Is this for real?

A entire year and we will get only a well made (perhaps) terrain system?

Don't get me wrong Im in love with the engine, but this is sad.

The "Not priorities" is what can make this engine shine. We need more Shader effects to use the advantage of the OpenGL 4 renderer. All games looks "bland" with no proper shaders.

What about more CSG tools for the editor, like a cut tool and vertice tools. He said the leadwerks toke place of the 3D World Studio, but is far ahead.

Now the greed will talk more and we will receive endless DLC's ...

yay ...

A entire year and we will get only a well made (perhaps) terrain system?

To be fair, none of the priorities/non-priorities are set in stone for 2015, but these are just what are supposed to be the focuses. I will admit I was a little disappointed with some parts as well, but I guess everyone can't win. I was really hoping for more features to come out, especially some of the things in the Not Priorities list. Josh gave his reasons for it, but I disagree with a lot of them. Anyway, I forgot to put the CSG stuff on the list. I think it was unspecified, but I'm not sure. So, it might come out next year.

I think part of it is that the new goal of Leadwerks is to be the easiest engine to make 3D games, as Josh put it. I was personally drawn to Leadwerks for other reasons, and I'm not quite sure that Leadwerks is really targeting that audience right now. But then again, I'm not the developer of Leadwerks, so this is only my perception.

I was never under the impression that this was Josh's to-do list for the entire year, but rather just what he was planning on focusing his efforts on first. Josh doesn't like to give roadmap timelines on anything which is understandable as you never will know what will change or problems that will occur as new items are introduced.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

What about more CSG tools for the editor, like a cut tool and vertice tools. He said the leadwerks toke place of the 3D World Studio, but is far ahead.

BSP are mainly to blockout your level base only and prototype , test gameplay. Level designers using Unreal for example , just block BSP to prototype, than replace all with imported models. Anyway if you still plan to use lot of BSP than 3D world Studio remains the BSP tool for LE3 as it has all functions already.

We need more Shader effects to use the advantage of the OpenGL 4 renderer. All games looks "bland" with no proper shaders.

There is some good effects right now in LE3 shaders, and some people will perhaps adapt and bring new shaders wink.png

Games looks bland when they don't have any style and use generic generated charcaters or generic 3D assets everyone using the same almost.

Anyway, that's a good news about terrain vegetation and water, the most needed things to make big gorgeous outdoors.

Stop toying and make games

Yes, he said it would be soldiers. The idea is to have some packs that can be used together, so someone fighting all those zombies is needed. Josh was confident that there will be a lot more content in the future, and also that he might approach some artists from other places like the Unity Asset Store and convince them there is money to be made with Leadwerks as well...

BSP are mainly to blockout your level base only and prototype , test gameplay. Level designers using Unreal for example , just block BSP to prototype, than replace all with imported models. Anyway if you still plan to use lot of BSP than 3D world Studio remains the BSP tool for LE3 as it has all functions already.

Sadly 3D World Studio don't work on Windows 8.

also

j96I661.jpg

Going to 2 years already.

• Upvote 1

I think Josh needs to release vegetation painter and CSG tools in one big update, since it would cater both user groups. Those who predominantly make outdoor and indoor levels.

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

i would imagine some sort of LOD would have to be implemented or vegetation is not going to work very well.

True, but I'm more talking about models (like buildings and such). I know in LE2, there was automatic billboarding of trees (which was really cool) along with LOD levels as well, but there was also LODs with meshes outside of the vegetation system that was hardware accelerated.

...but there was also LODs with meshes outside of the vegetation system that was hardware accelerated.

hardware accelerated? afaik the toggling of LOD's for models in LE2 was based purely on distance from camera much like the LOD used for vegetation and we had the ability to modify that with LODDistance() - which offhand i do not remember if it was a global world setting or entity based.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

hardware accelerated? afaik the toggling of LOD's for models in LE2 was based purely on distance from camera much like the LOD used for vegetation and we had the ability to modify that with LODDistance() - which offhand i do not remember if it was a global world setting or entity based.

Well, I mean not doing it in Lua but built directly into the engine, like how objects have draw distances now. Obviously, you could hide the entity after a certain distance, but doing it in Lua would be substantially slower, especially for a large amount of entities. Wouldn't it be possible to do it in OpenGL just like OC is done? I don't know how the draw distance stuff is implemented, but ideally something like that.

about vegetation, i like a click and it grow from self with some rules, maybe in a area what was defined as rectangle or circle or shape :)

this can be done random and if you like the result it can be saved.

this require some default plants with the possibility to exchange later and handle as normal game object.

PC : Win 10 Pro 64 Bit , 4x cores ~2 GHz , 8 GB RAM , AMD R7 265

2D : Photoline , Zooner Photo Studio 13 , Art Rage Studio 3.5.4 , Ashampoo Snap 7 , ...

3D : Shade 15 Basic , Carrara 8.5 & DAZ Studio 4.8 , Cheetah 3D 6.3.2 , Via Cad 8

Music : Samplitude Music Studio , Music Creator 7

IDE : Leadwerks Engine 3.x , Unity 5.x , (Unreal 4.8.x) , AGK v2.x , Construct 2 , (Clickteam Fusion 2.5) , ShiVa 1.9 , Game Maker Studio , MS Visual Studio .Net , Android Studio , Monkey , ...

Plan sounds good to me smile.png Being able to create games are the way to go, not just eyecandy like in LE2 (alltho that is fun aswell).

However was there any mention of the auto-rigging in the model editor, Josh showed us late last year?

Once I got into it I realized it would unfold into lots of additional required features, so I decided to not to pursue that right now.
  • Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.