darklord987

Space Runner

Space Runner is a fast paced arcade game. The game has a Sci-Fi touch to it while still feeling realistic. The game consists of very little controls adding a whole new element of game play to it. Dodge obstacles and make it to the end without dying. 

Gameplay: Move left, right, and up to dodge obstacles as you run through the hallway. You will always be moving forward unless you stop or are hit by an object. You must keep your speed and avoid the wall behind you which is always moving forwards. Try to remove all friction and not hit obstacles so you don't get smashed by the moving wall.

Controls:

• E - Activate Objects
  • A - Move Left
  • D - Move Right
  • Space - Jump
  • R - Reset Level
  • Esc - Quit Game

Assets Used:

All other assets were created by me or paid for and don't need to be listed.

Download: You can always find the most current download at http://www.indiedb.com/games/space-runner-arcade/downloads

Alternative download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8I_ARJQoVHRalg5MW15WF84RTg/view?usp=sharing

This game was created by DarkLord Projects (aka DarkLord987). This game is for the Leadwerks Winter Game competition and is not intended to make a profit. If this game gets positive feedback I will add more levels, random level generator, and more features in the future.

View full game

I clicked on Exe, it opened an MSDOS windows and program just closed dry.png

This has been happening on some PCs. I don't have a fix for this. Most likely an issue with the engine. The only PCs that this game worked on had an AMD or Nvidia GPU. Also, did you runt he oalist.exe first?

Starts for me on Linux but I can't see the mouse cursor and thus can't use any of the menus.

Which GUI system are you using?

Starts for me on Linux but I can't see the mouse cursor and thus can't use any of the menus.

Which GUI system are you using?

FlowGUI. I only use Linux for my websites and file servers.

This game is really fun! It's so hard though lol, it's probably because I'm just bad at it. I didn't have the GUI issues, but then again, I'm running on Windows.

I really would be interested in seeing where you go next with it!

Hi Darlord,

Just tried your game. I'm with Nick on this one. Good game but I don't get very far. Maybe I'm too old for these type of games.

Likes: good concept. Fast graphics ( maybe too fast ). Good Music which suits the game. Nice intro page ( Flowgui ) which works fine on my machine (windows 8).

Suggestions: Some sort of graphic to represent how close the wall is behind you. You could also add pickups to give you extra time. The corridors need some colour ( maybe they get brighter later on but I didn't get to it). A score so there is a reason to keep playing.

My son just had a go and he could get very far either ( maybe we both suck). You could start slow and as the player got further the game would speed up. This would add to the tension.

Looking forward to see where you go with this. Good luck in the Winter Games.

PS your quit button doesn't work. Aggror posted a solution for this. I had the same problem in my project. http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/11643-how-to-end-leadwerks/

Nice game, a bit to fast for me. Is it ment to be so fast.

Good music, you could take this game further.

On start screen if you press E twice it causes some bad flickering.

For those having

This has been happening on some PCs. I don't have a fix for this. Most likely an issue with the engine. The only PCs that this game worked on had an AMD or Nvidia GPU. Also, did you runt he oalist.exe first?

With some quickety-quick screencapping I found an error message stating that 'window' is a nil value at line 14 in App.lua.

This game is really fun! It's so hard though lol, it's probably because I'm just bad at it. I didn't have the GUI issues, but then again, I'm running on Windows.

I really would be interested in seeing where you go next with it!

Thank! I wanted to make it easier, but because it was only one level I made it harder. I will soon work on a randomizer and make those levels more "enjoyable."

Super interesting game. Nice music too! Can't wait to see some more!

The music I accidentally stumbled upon. lol. Thanks for the nice comment!

Hi Darlord,

Just tried your game. I'm with Nick on this one. Good game but I don't get very far. Maybe I'm too old for these type of games.

Likes: good concept. Fast graphics ( maybe too fast ). Good Music which suits the game. Nice intro page ( Flowgui ) which works fine on my machine (windows 8).

Suggestions: Some sort of graphic to represent how close the wall is behind you. You could also add pickups to give you extra time. The corridors need some colour ( maybe they get brighter later on but I didn't get to it). A score so there is a reason to keep playing.

My son just had a go and he could get very far either ( maybe we both suck). You could start slow and as the player got further the game would speed up. This would add to the tension.

Looking forward to see where you go with this. Good luck in the Winter Games.

PS your quit button doesn't work. Aggror posted a solution for this. I had the same problem in my project. http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/11643-how-to-end-leadwerks/

Wow thank you so much for all the feedback! The game turned out pretty well for only a few weeks and its nice to know that you agree too. Thanks for the fix link and I will update it sometime soon. I would "like" to have a progress bar, but the code would be hard to code. The moving wall is the sliding door code which is heavily modified. I think I can use the x coordinate as a value and get some type of GUI in the top corner. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nice game, a bit to fast for me. Is it ment to be so fast.

Good music, you could take this game further.

On start screen if you press E twice it causes some bad flickering.

The E I tried to fix, but couldn't find the key function. I will try to remove it soon though when I do find it. Also, the game is slow, but the FOV makes it look fast. Its a good strategy to make a fast game while keeping a good frame rate.

For those having

With some quickety-quick screencapping I found an error message stating that 'window' is a nil value at line 14 in App.lua.

I saw it too. Next time just open CMD and run the game there. You will get a console when you do that :)

First of all, i liked the game, is a challenging game.

I became surprised by the fact than when u touch a wall from the front u are not dead, but sometimes when u touch u got dead instantly, i dont know if that is the idea of the game, can be is by the velocity u have.

A problem with the game in the menu is that if u click the mouse in anywhere, when u move the mouse and pass over any menu text it gets clicked.

For the moment when u click quit, it only minimises the game, i have seen somebody else saying it.

I hope to do a funny and working game also!! for the moment mine is only a notworking copypaste of lots of things XD

I have executed Ruuner.exe in console and i got an error:

"attemp to index field 'window' < a nil value >".

I don't know why i had this issue.

My advice is to check everything after a creation or allocation so user can understand at least why application crash.