Scene Organisation

TattieBoJangle

I think the ability to make like folders in the scene tab this would let you organise your files better group them by type ect like +Trees +Veg i know this is sort of possible just now but it makes them children and can effect some thing.

• Upvote 4

Asus Extreme v x99, Intel I7, Windows 8.1 64 Bit, SSD, Geforce GTX 980 4GB, 16GB Ripjaw DDR4

Josh did experiment with this once (he posted screenshots) but nothing has come of it. I'm not sure why honestly because I agree this would be great.

My idea only led to more feature requests so I didn't go through with it. If a feature requires additional features to fix all its limitations, you've got a bad design approach.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

If a feature requires additional features to fix all its limitations, you've got a bad design approach.

But couldn't that be said about the existing scene organization with all the additional feature requests people ask around the existing one?

• Upvote 1

Yes. I question whether even having the entire scene hierarchy visible at once is a good design approach. I don't know what a useful alternative is though.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

It would be good to be able to move an item in the Scene tree somewhere else without it becoming a child of another item.

If not folders the ability to hide items with the same name. I have many walls in my scene, once in place I don't need to do anything with them and they get in the way.

• Upvote 2

Elite Cobra Squad

That contradicts what we already have, which is a visual representation of the scene hierarchy. So you are saying you want a new scene hierarchy that doesn't really show the scene hierarchy.

Sakes people, why complicate things so much. Lets make it easy. Simply add a collapse button (a triangle or a +/- sign) next to each parent that has at least one child. Very simple and efficient. You will still be able to keep the scene hierarchy yet able to collapse out of the view certain nodes. This way if I want I can put all CSG brushes under a dummy pivot object and collapse them out of my way. This also offers very simple approach to change position/rotation/scaling of all CSG brushes at once.

Oh wait, right, this is how its done already. So what's the problem then?

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

my suggestion with tags & filter would help too without touching the scene hirachy.

handling parts of the scene hierarchy is more important than the hierarchy itself.

• Upvote 1

PC : Win 10 Pro 64 Bit , 4x cores ~2 GHz , 8 GB RAM , AMD R7 265

2D : Photoline , Zooner Photo Studio 13 , Art Rage Studio 3.5.4 , Ashampoo Snap 7 , ...

3D : Shade 15 Basic , Carrara 8.5 & DAZ Studio 4.8 , Cheetah 3D 6.3.2 , Via Cad 8

Music : Samplitude Music Studio , Music Creator 7

IDE : Leadwerks Engine 3.x , Unity 5.x , (Unreal 4.8.x) , AGK v2.x , Construct 2 , (Clickteam Fusion 2.5) , ShiVa 1.9 , Game Maker Studio , MS Visual Studio .Net , Android Studio , Monkey , ...

What are the issues with having a parent with many children, anything major?

Can it be fixed?

I will do this with my current map but don't want to mess it up.

My main one is not being able to move items around the scene hirachy freely.

Elite Cobra Squad

That contradicts what we already have, which is a visual representation of the scene hierarchy. So you are saying you want a new scene hierarchy that doesn't really show the scene hierarchy.

@Josh.....I would just like to see a way to separate everything...Like, if I have 10 generators, I would like to be able to put these in a folder called generators in the hierarchy...I hope this makes sense...

I admit that I don't know how seeing the scene hierarchy benefits users but I'm curious: could anyone let me know?

I think, the problem is not about having a parent with many children but having many objects. AFAIK it doesn't matter, if your objects are parented to anything but if you are trying a modular aproach, you likely turn out with really many objects for which you need to store things like transformation matrix etc. So, if your house consists of only one Object, which holds all the geometry description, you will only need one transformation matrix. If your house consists of an entity, which is parent to 4 Wall-Objects, one roof-object, 5 window-objects and one door-object, you will have to store 1+4+1+5+1=12 transformation matrices (and additional overhead for each object).

EDIT:

OK, it does matter, if those things are parented to an entity, because e.g. you will have to generate a new global transformation-matrix (by transforming the local transformation-matrix of the child with the parent's one.)

I admit that I don't know how seeing the scene hierarchy benefits users but I'm curious: could anyone let me know?

Sometimes it's useful for assigning parents to objects within the editor. Think about cars or characters holding items. You can use the hierarchy to place tires/items in a certain spot and have localized coordinates that can then be edited in code.

Can it be fixed?

I might just be making this up out of thin air, but I think there is a limit of 64 direct children (like 1 level down). I think I encountered this limit a lot with setting up highway pivots (with hundreds of pivots) and trying to parent them under a pivot. After about 64 or so, it didn't seem to work, but maybe I was doing something wrong.

How does it contradict what we have? Why can't this be added on top of the hierarchy? You could just have folders as the top level entity and then place the objects in those folders, which would be identical to what's going on now.

• Upvote 1

my suggestion with tags & filter would help too without touching the scene hirachy.

handling parts of the scene hierarchy is more important than the hierarchy itself.

I like this idea. However even a simple layer / folder system would go leaps and bounds.

Hammer has a similar setup and it is solid, You can toggle entire sections of your scene, and there is less scrolling through the hierarchy.

• Upvote 1

Ubuntu 14.04 (64-Bit) - Intel Core i7-2700K - Geforce GTX 670 - 8GB RAM

this amounts to 2 tree views, one for render hirachy and one for user management.

PC : Win 10 Pro 64 Bit , 4x cores ~2 GHz , 8 GB RAM , AMD R7 265

2D : Photoline , Zooner Photo Studio 13 , Art Rage Studio 3.5.4 , Ashampoo Snap 7 , ...

3D : Shade 15 Basic , Carrara 8.5 & DAZ Studio 4.8 , Cheetah 3D 6.3.2 , Via Cad 8

Music : Samplitude Music Studio , Music Creator 7

IDE : Leadwerks Engine 3.x , Unity 5.x , (Unreal 4.8.x) , AGK v2.x , Construct 2 , (Clickteam Fusion 2.5) , ShiVa 1.9 , Game Maker Studio , MS Visual Studio .Net , Android Studio , Monkey , ...