Mapping with the Leadwerks Editor

Ronald Buanno

Hello, I'm going to be using this thread to ask questions about mapping with the editor and showing examples of my current maps in progress.

A couple of questions I have so far are:

- I notice copy and pasting duplicates of an object (brushes) snaps them to a offset grid, Any way to make this new duplicate I paste to snap to my current grid so I don't have to size down and adjust? This is extremely unproductive D:

- What is the deal with the material editor? Are we getting a new tool for this? Pasted duplicates textures are readjusted and must be tweaked by hand to correct, how can I avoid this? Source engine allowed you to save material placement via world or local object, is this possible?

- How can I save a prefab of a set of objects (brushes)? I select them all and I cannot right click to save them as a prefab? That stinks!

- Is there a way to edit verts? In Source engine you could move individual verts on objects (brushes) is this simply not possible in Leadwerks?

- Is there a way to disable the grid from showing in the perspective view? It sometimes gets in my way and is just generally not what I need for that window.

- Rotating a group of objects rotates them all individually not as a group? Anyways to enable this? Also seems unproductive D:

More questions to come.

For now, Here is a map I have made to learn a bit about the editor.

Enjoy, and critique!

rumble_arena.map.zip

Ubuntu 14.04 (64-Bit) - Intel Core i7-2700K - Geforce GTX 670 - 8GB RAM

- I notice copy and pasting duplicates of an object (brushes) snaps them to a offset grid, Any way to make this new duplicate I paste to snap to my current grid so I don't have to size down and adjust? This is extremely unproductive D:

Use CTRL and drag instead. This will duplicate the selection but allows you to retain control over the positioning.

- What is the deal with the material editor? Are we getting a new tool for this? Pasted duplicates textures are readjusted and must be tweaked by hand to correct, how can I avoid this? Source engine allowed you to save material placement via world or local object, is this possible?

Switch on the Texture Locking (CTRL+L) to prevent the sliding of surfaces.

- How can I save a prefab of a set of objects (brushes)? I select them all and I cannot right click to save them as a prefab? That stinks!

Group everything under a single parent and then save the parent as a prefab. To group multiple objects: CTRL or SHIFT select them, drag over the parent object and release. Selected objects will become children of the parent object/entity.

- Is there a way to edit verts? In Source engine you could move individual verts on objects (brushes) is this simply not possible in Leadwerks?

No, but it has been requested and Josh stated that more CSG editing tools (carving etc.) are coming out this year.

- Is there a way to disable the grid from showing in the perspective view? It sometimes gets in my way and is just generally not what I need for that window.

No, but it has been requested. Meanwhile you can try increasing the grid size until it becomes barely noticeable.

- Rotating a group of objects rotates them all individually not as a group? Anyways to enable this? Also seems unproductive D:

See above. If you select the parent and change its position/rotation/scaling matrix all child objects will follow.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Olby, Thanks for all the suggestions and information.

It's really a shame there isn't a drop down menu that shows you some of these hot keys. Well not that I can find at least. Also the lack of tool tips for the tools is rather annoying, I'm not sure if that's just a Linux issue, but this is supposed to be a Linux development kit.

I'm going to try out the new methods to whip up a new practice map.

Could you elaborate on grouping? In my map for instance, I select all of my stair wedge's, then how do I "drag them" to the parent object? I think there should definitely be a parent button that lets you click the objects, or even a right click menu.

---

Scratch that, I dragged all the items in the scene menu and it seems to work.

This is an awkward way of grouping thinks in my opinion. But I suppose it works.

Also, Control + L for texture lock, Is not doing anything for me. Duplicated prefabs start with good textures, then I move and its all borked. Again, there is no button for this action? Or even a drop down menu?

Also for rotations, I think a source equivilant of the Control + M menu should be made, Do you guys agree? A menu that lets you type in units/degree's to rotate, translate, or scale. This whole edit menu click rotate thing is not at all what we need. Unless... I can hot key that?

Hmmm, More help needed here guys, I'm trying to add a skybox to my practice map, and well for starters the sky material is borked in the viewer which is really annoying, couldn't leadwerks just use a skybox texture like source engine to remedy this? And when I apply my skybox the lighting in the level is instantly darkened and messed up. How do I avoid this? Anyone else notice the control button has weird activity? Where if you press it while something was clicked you have to repress control to continue?

Updated version of my practice map showing my skybox and lighting issues.

Also I have included a simple prefab for my type of stairs if anyone wants to use it, I think they are more usable that the stairs Josh demonstrated in his sample.map.

rumble_pit.zip

Anyone else notice the control button has weird activity? Where if you press it while something was clicked you have to repress control to continue?

Yes I've encountered the sticky CTRL thing a few times.

There is an option to add a skybox if you select root in the scene tree. Not sure if it will help the lighting.

Check out my games: One More Day / Halloween Pumpkin Run

I think the shadow problem on the top floor is because of the caulk texture you're applying to surfaces. Seems like the light goes right through it or something without making a shadow. If you give the top floor blocks a normal texture on all sides it casts the shadows ok. Maybe a more experienced user can explain it more, I'm still learning the ropes myself.

Check out my games: One More Day / Halloween Pumpkin Run

I have solved the issues with the shadows not appearing on the top tier of my map.

Caulk texture on the tops of the wall brushes needed to be removed to properly cast the shadows.

Shadow popping at short distance is still occurring though, How can I increase distance / prevent this?

I think the shadow problem on the top floor is because of the caulk texture you're applying to surfaces. Seems like the light goes right through it or something without making a shadow. If you give the top floor blocks a normal texture on all sides it casts the shadows ok. Maybe a more experienced user can explain it more, I'm still learning the ropes myself.

Correct, I had a hunch and textured a bunch of small brushes in game differently to see how they were effected by light to figure it out.

rumble_arena_fixed_shadows.zip