LCP 3.0 ?

beo6

LCP 3.0  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to participate in a LCP 3.0 (Leadwerks Community Project)

2. 2. if yes which Genre should it be?

• First / Third Person Shooter
    • Realtime Strategy
    • Adventure
    • Simulation / Sports
    • Casual game
    • Other

Hello everybody.

Now that the Winter Games Tournament is over i would like to ask if anyone is interested in a new Leadwerks Community Project?

I know everyone is currently busy with their own games smile.png

But since the last one didn't really finished as i have hoped. (i think it was more or less canceled but still playable which was nice)

And i notice that i am more productive if there is some teamwork involved i wanted to ask if anyone here is possibly interested so i made a vote.

I can provide versioning hosting with backups, ticketing system etc.

From the last Community Project i know it was intended that everyones work-part was as much excluded from everyone else as possible so it does not get messy. But i didn't really liked that approach.

I want to still have everyone on a specific part working but not completely unknown of everything else going on.

Please only vote Yes if you are really interested.

For some genres i think it will be required for some people to use the C++ Version. ( at least the core developer(s) ) but most should be possible with pure LUA.

So please vote.

I was thinking the last few days about this and if i should start this but i think we can do this.

From the last Community Project i know it was intended that everyones work-part was as much excluded from everyone else as possible so it does not get messy. But i didn't really liked that approach.

I was experimenting with this style. I still think it was my fault for poor management with this style because people did really do good with their individual tasks but the management of connections of these separate tasks really needs to be detailed and monitored carefully. It was educational if anything smile.png

I love that this keeps going though and each time a new manager starts it up!

I would think FPS would just be the easiest thing to get going given all the support it has now in LE. The question would be how do you make something unique and fun given there seems to be so many FPS's these days and they generally all feel the same.

Think "golden axe"

It's bascially a endless supply of enemies and a few limited moves ( unlike fighting games with all their combos and what not )

It would be super cool to make it rogue like - bit I think that would be outside of the scope

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

interesting idea Guppy. would definetly be something new.

I also agree with Rick. FPS would be the easiest. But there are already a lot of FPS out.

i will go with whatever will be voted and i don't want to influence the voting but when RTS will be selected i can also give my still in WIP script of a RTS controller. It is not finished but it is 100% lua and i think pretty good commented.

I want to release my RTS script anyway when it is finished. Considering that for RTS there is a dynamic navmesh generation missing for LUA it would either be required to code it in C++ or just stick with the current navmesh approach which i would do. Things can always be improved later.

Thanks so far for the votes and comments. :)

No game can be described as easiest or any other similar word for that matter wink.png

I don't mean to place a black mark over any Community Project, but I think you all know that it won't get completed; a game of any description is far too large in scope, especially when people are off doing other things such as 'life'.

Why don't you all get together to work on a single piece of missing functionality for LE... like a really good GUI system (anything really, just something that could be completed <- and that is the key here, and given to the community for all to use).

Like I said, i'm not trying to put any black mark on it as it's a really good idea.

no problem fallingbrickwork, every opinion is highly appreciated.

But consider that LE has no real plugin system so it is limited in what can be added without C++.

Also as i wrote. For example a working RTS controller would be just as good as a GUI system which we now have some options.

I think there can be parts of such a project useful for everybody.

With the new vehicle physics, ocean water and upcoming vegetation painting - why not an outdoor racing game? Would give Josh some feedback on the new features, and maybe he'll come up with the road tool sooner rolleyes.gif. Maybe we could also give multiplayer a shot. And of course, I love outdoor stuff...

Thanks wardtf for your offer.

So far it looks better then i have feared. I will let the voting run for a bit and after that i will ask everyone who woted yes in what department he/she wants to work in.

I fear after the voting some will leave already since we can't make everyone happy about the choosen genre. But i hope enough will stay.

• Upvote 1

It can't be helped. For my part I'm not interested in another FPS (I liked Guppy's thought) but I may chip in anyway, depending on specifics.

I was under the impression that these projects were more of learning tools for all users, so I agree because I feel that there is already pretty sufficient FPS material out there for Leadwerks.

• Upvote 1

i agree that these are for learning. but not only programming.

Also there can be new things in a FPS game too. With the new water for example there can be underwater levels.

Think of Subnautica for example even though since that includes crafting etc. i would consider it a bit less an shooter but it is in first person.

Thanks for the big interest. I had not expected so many and i am really happy about that.

So far it looks like FPS/TPS got the most votes.

Soon i will try to contact every one who showed interest and ask them some things like what they want to do on the project etc.

Please be patient as this is the first time i do something like this.

Just a side note; as this is supposed to be a learning experience I'd like to contribute with something outside of my comfort zone preferably modeling

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k