Model names wrong in scene panel : Model test

YouGroove

Are you saying you expect the file name to be the same as the top-level root object that is created when none exists in the hierarchy? That makes sense but I can't investigate this without a file to test with. I am guessing at what you might mean but don't want to spend effort unless I know what you are describing. Can you please provide a sample model to test?

Yes, If you import a FBX model named soldier, i expect when dropping it on the scene to have the same name.

Here is some FBX model test.

modelTest.zip

Stop toying and make games

The problem here is what is inside the file is not necessarily the same as the name of the file.

I don't mind about what contains the model inside : in Asset panel it is named : "MODELTEST".MDL

So when i drop it in the scene i want to see in the scene panel the model named : "MODELTEST" in the tree view

What makes sense no ?

Independently of what contains the model inside, it's just keeping the SAME NAME AS THE FILE MODEL.

Try any 3D engine, and all will keep the same name in tree view, that's a simple convention, try UE4 or Unity to see how it works.

The model's top-level object is named "RetopoGroup1". It is showing correctly in the editor. So this is a design decision, not a bug.

But yeah, I see your point.

This is a new feature and I'm not going to introduce it yet, because I don't want to cause new bugs. It may be implemented in the future.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Well it's indeed design choice, i don't have to bother about what is inside the model file or what names are inside with other editors, i import soldier.fbx , and that's it when dropping it on the scene it just keeps the same name as imported file name "soldier".

Anyway we have just to continue rename models for now and that's not the biggest priority i think also.

I am pretty sure I would do this right now, but right now I am working to get a new build out on the default branch and I want to stay focused.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

If or when it gets implemented can we have it as a check box in the settings so it doesn't mess up my already existing models?

Im' not sure it will impact your work, as this is only a name in the scene editor, could it be you that changed the name manually or could the name been pick up automatically from inside the 3D model or form the model file.

If Unreal 4 had to make check boxes each time they deliver a new update changing many things, the editor would be full of check boxes everywhere laugh.png