LockDown (Escape Plan)

josk

A small video showing the first intergration of the FlowGUI inventoy.

Lockdown (Escape Plan) is a sci-fi game in the old dungeon crawl style. Similier to and influenced by the modern game Legend of Grimrock.

I will post more of the storyline at a later date but for now you are trapped on a research station which is attached to an asteroid.

Lots of work to do to finish just the first level but hoping to have a demo out in the coming weeks.

Had been waiting for the new update of FlowGUI so I could get an inventoy into the game. Great work Aggror.

• Upvote 8

Elite Cobra Squad

Nice Work Josk, looking great.

Seems more StarCrawler than Grimrock , why not fast and smooth movement when moving , i don't like the PowerPoint effect laugh.png

Aww come on! the slideshow thing is part of the nostalgia;

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

Working title at the moment, first thought was Escape Route Alpha, mentioned LockDown and it got good response. Open to ideas.

Movement is smoother than the video shows, turning could be smoother though. Do want to keep the old style movement.

StarCrawler looks interesting.

Thanks for the feedback.

Elite Cobra Squad

I had a variable that just got called when you collected the flash light that enabled it.

There is a player use function in the inventory script or similier which i'm going to go through instead when I get time.

I was messing around with that function earlier and I can't get it to work properly. It's as simple as using a key to open a door. But I can't make it work....

I was messing around with that function earlier and I can't get it to work properly. It's as simple as using a key to open a door. But I can't make it work...

I'm assuming you are able to pick up items and have storableobject.lua attach to them.

In the inventorytGUI script around line 235 function Script:SetItemSlotProperties()

remove the -- on the following bits of curitem code (removed in the code snippet.)

--retrieve the item in the itemslot
curItem = guiElement:GetItem()

--The item in the itemslot can have a UseInventoryItem() function.
curItem:UseInventoryItem()

In the storable object script goto item.UseInventoryItem = (about line 40).

In that function put your code. In my case I put player:torchactive()

In my player code I have a torchactive function that makes the torch usable.

Hope you understand this, I'm no teacher.

Elite Cobra Squad

I'm assuming you are able to pick up items and have storableobject.lua attach to them.

In the inventorytGUI script around line 235 function Script:SetItemSlotProperties()

remove the -- on the following bits of curitem code (removed in the code snippet.)

--retrieve the item in the itemslot
curItem = guiElement:GetItem()

--The item in the itemslot can have a UseInventoryItem() function.
curItem:UseInventoryItem()

In the storable object script goto item.UseInventoryItem = (about line 40).

In that function put your code. In my case I put player:torchactive()

In my player code I have a torchactive function that makes the torch usable.

Hope you understand this, I'm no teacher.

I did everything you did, deleted the "--" and now I got kind of stuck in the adding a function part. I have no clue how to do that xD

I'm still kind of newbish to LUA as you can tell...

To add a function to your player code all you need is something like this

function Script:torchactive()

self.Target2.script.active =1

end

If you look at your player script you will see functions like start and updateworld. It's just the same, you just need to call the function to run it as in the example player:torchactive()

In the function place the code you need to run when the condition is met.

If you ask in the programming/general discussuin forum even if its something small you will get plenty of answers.

Also Rick runs lessons at a cheap price, might be woth looking into.

Elite Cobra Squad

Inspired by all the great vidos and screenshots I have revised my list of things to do before a demo can be released. Most if not all are needed.

Depending on feedback that will leave just adding better lighting, textures, models and sounds where needed.

Gui/inventory

Any instructions and storyline need adding.

Events for equipment need changing. At the moment you click the inventory and then you have to press F to activate flash light. Should only work via the inventory panel.

Fire extinguisher

Needs smoke effect applying when used and limited use only through the inventory needs applying.

Store Room door

Keycard needed to access. 0% done.

Props

Some basic medical supplies/food/equipment/weapons.

Also room and corridor props and furniture.

Sounds

Generator, Flickering lights and footsteps.

Lift

The end of the level needs doing.

Elite Cobra Squad

Inspired by all the great vidos and screenshots I have revised my list of things to do before a demo can be released. Most if not all are needed.

Depending on feedback that will leave just adding better lighting, textures, models and sounds where needed.

Gui/inventory

Any instructions and storyline need adding.

Events for equipment need changing. At the moment you click the inventory and then you have to press F to activate flash light. Should only work via the inventory panel.

Fire extinguisher

Needs smoke effect applying when used and limited use only through the inventory needs applying.

Store Room door

Keycard needed to access. 0% done.

Props

Some basic medical supplies/food/equipment/weapons.

Also room and corridor props and furniture.

Sounds

Generator, Flickering lights and footsteps.

Lift

The end of the level needs doing.

Sounds like you have everything planned, can't wait to see the results!

• Upvote 1

Do you have basic gameplay working ? I mean exploring , mobs AI and combat , loot , equipment ?

Exploring, loot and equipment. all the basics are working.

Aliens, Ai and Combat. Have only done a little bit with this, the game play is different to a normal fps so its not done the standard way.

Take a look at Grimrock.

The first level is about learning what has happend and the basics of movement and interaction. You also come across one of the puzzles that you will find throughout the levels. The puzzle itself looks basic and will require more work to look better though it works.

The first level is short, a taster to see what people think. The next level will be a lot bigger.

Elite Cobra Squad

Got started on a journal, basic at the moment but a start. Pressing J brings it up and also hides it.

Might not use the name journal.

post-54-0-31291000-1424983353_thumb.jpg

Journal is a good name, but you could call it a "Quest Log" or a "Memento Book" they both work for the type of game that you're making. Unless it's sci-fi then you can call it PDA or HSD(Holographic Screen Display) fancy name right? :)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

One more thing ticked off the list, the sound for the generators now work as they should. They get louder as you reapir them and the sound range is working. Mono not stereo for that.

Still need a better sound effect for the Generators but for now its fine.

Slowly getting there. smile.png

Elite Cobra Squad

• 4 weeks later...
  • Josh unlocked this topic