The constructive Linux thread

DerRidda

We have one thread for venting but I personally am always more interested in approaching things from a constructive angle rather than a destructive one.

So let's list what we would like to see improved and how this could be achieved given the current means and direction of Leadwerks. No rant thread the 2nd because even stupid animals don't sh*t where they eat, so why would we?

First: disabled mouse wheel scroll

This was disabled back when the editor first came to Linux because scrolling in some places, most notably the scene graph were flat out breaking when scrolling. It was a workaround at the time that has settled as a permanent solution.

I would like to see this issue re-investigated, you only know how much time and wrist strain mouse wheel scroll saves you when you don't have it available.

I think simply turning it back on in the first beta after 3.4 is out would already be helpful since it may be different now anyway as the gtk plugin so some attention in relation to different issues (script editor which does have wheel scroll btw).

I'm running out of time here and will continue this later, feel free to add to it.

Now it's not all bad;the localized numeric input for instance has been fixed.

There may well be more issues than above, but I've completely stopped using the editor except for testing bugs.

• Upvote 3

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

Model viewer/editor not working is a problem - not really critical once you have your pipeline sorted, but a bit a pain when you haven't, and a very obviously broken piece of the editor suite.

I'm curious how do you break up animations?

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

I use separate named actions in blender (I have walk, swim, idle, die cycles), rather than animate all my actions in a single sequence and break it up into chunks using frame offsets in leadwerks. the exporter has an 'all actions' option which needs to be enabled for this to work.

I did have a number of problems with bone/vertex weights, and had to modify the exporter code a little bit to get multiple actions exporting correctly (had issues with bones deforming the mesh in strange ways), but i've never seen anyone else report this as an issue, and I use a very bleeding-edge version of blender so wasnt sure if it was just that - I'm not at all sure i'm fixing the problem i see in the 'right' way - but thats how I do it.

As long as weights are normalised, there are no unweighted vertices, and model and skeleton have no translation/rotation I can get multiple animation cycles per character into leadwerks and it all 'just works', no need to do anything to the model in the viewer.

I see the author of the blender exporter is back on the forum and josh is looking to get some work done so I will touch base with him and see if my multiple actions patch is useful and if so get it into github.

• Upvote 1

That would work ( and good work on the patch ) - but not everybody rolls their own models, and opening fbx/max files in blender removes all animation ( if it works at all that is ).

System:

Scrolling in the script editor and asset tree works fine but the actual asset browser with the little previews, scene tree, entity properties and view port scroll bars don't work with the mouse. It works for you in all these places? If in doubt, the AI and Events tutorial map is rich enough in just about everything to see a scroll bar there.

I wonder why we can't have the scroll bar that is in the asset tree anywhere else.

I'll edit this post tomorrow with more details when I get around to playing with the Editor some more... But so far my experience with it on my Arch system seems to be pretty smooth. The mousewheel works everywhere. The scene tab works.

Repeat these steps

And tell me if it works as intended ( ie the the scene tab does not get drawn ontop of the really selected tab ) please tell us your system specifics ( GFX brand, driver & kernel version ). It would be valuable data for fixing it for the rest of us :)

System:

Well, I was going to record a video, but having never recorded my desktop before in any o/s, I'm having a slightly difficult time. Getting there, though. In the meantime, I will just say....

Yes the scenetab works as intended even after selecting through different objects. No graphical glitches and buttons work as intended as far as I could tell. Mousewheel works in all of the viewports.

AMD FX 6300

24GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 650

Driver: Nvidia 346.35

O/S: Arch Linux

Kernel: 3.18.6

GUI: LXDE

Edit: Should also mention I'm using the stable branch of Leadwerks...

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

I have pmed alrusdi with the patch.. its actually just a one-liner. If anyone else in interested (if you are getting oddball deformations in actions other than the first on an exported mesh):

in armature.py

33c33,34

< self.matrix_basis = self.animations[0]['keyframes'][0]

---

> self.matrix_basis = self.animations[-1]['keyframes'][0]

Also, glad to see Josh commenting in in hear. Oh... wait.

First of all, I think he took some time off recently. Second of all, why does he need to comment? Also, what exactly do you want him to say? Most of this is bug reports. It's not like he needs to post his opinion on this stuff. It's pretty objective.

Look man, this is the *constructive* linux thread. I have no idea how effective you think this passive-agressive **** is at getting the bugs in Linux Leadwerks fixed, but if you were trying to find an effective way to make me (and I can hopefully assume every other rational human on this forum) to consider you a total jerk, you won! Congratulations!

• Upvote 6

I am following this thread. Today I've got to implement a low-quality water mode and do some hardware testing, but this I will respond after that's done. I'm on a schedule to release 3.4 and I want to make sure everything's in place well ahead of time.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Another thing I have noticed:

The editor won't even open links within Firefox for me anymore. It's installed of course, through the package manager, so everything is as expected but it just won't work. It doesn't make a difference whether or not I have Firefox running already. That's the 3.4 beta for me.

Look man, this is the *constructive* linux thread. I have no idea how effective you think this passive-agressive **** is at getting the bugs in Linux Leadwerks fixed, but if you were trying to find an effective way to make me (and I can hopefully assume every other rational human on this forum) to consider you a total jerk, you won! Congratulations!

I've known for years, it's pointless to give ****s about what people think about you. Also I have learned honesty, to me, is more valuable then deceit hands down always. To me your response it self is passive-aggressive, no one is asking you to read my posts, click else where. Maybe you should make an avatar with cowboy hat and glasses like everyone else and join the party.

Thanks for the post Josh, a status report is always nice.

DerRidda, I think you pig looks extremely hardcore the way you put that mustache on him, very good choice, a goatee I don't think would have the same effect lol.

Here's one I did to match the old avatar style.

Ubuntu 14.04 (64-Bit) - Intel Core i7-2700K - Geforce GTX 670 - 8GB RAM