Doors ...?

Arith

Greetings.

I'm hoping I have the right area for this, because honestly I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm still learning how to Leadwerks, so I'm betting on my ignorance being the source of my frustrations.

I am just playing with doors. I've seen Jorn's video tutorial, and I've read the equivalent guide. Nothing seems to shed a light on how doors are really set up. In the video tutorial, there seems to be a prefab for the door model. I don't seem to have that door, so I set up a scene, with a room and a door with a gap so the door can move up the wall. Assigned the script to the door (just a manual use door) and tried it out.

It's really an interesting thing what happens when I use the door. At first it looks like nothing is happening, but then you can see it's gently rocking. Then it sometimes gets more violent and just "bursts" out of the door frame. Then bounces off the ceiling a few times until it forces through. A few seconds later, the door slides seamlessly back down the intended track, as though nothing happened. Tried fiddling with the door script settings (particularly the direction) to no avail. Variations on a theme. In it's current state at the time of writing is the best I've gotten it so far. You know those sliding patio doors? Sometimes they get caught in the track and it jams in the doorway? It pretty much does that, but vertically. Gives up half way, then slides back down.

Puzzled, I try out a swinging door. Put together similarly, I try the door. Most of the time the door "sinks" in, then slowly pushes back to the starting position. Other times it'll pivot alright.. then get faster.. and faster.. so fast that if you get near it, you die. Tried fiddling with that door's rotation and pin point to no avail either.

I also tried spacing those doors so they're JUST touching other surfaces, or just floating inside surrouding surfaces (door frames/adjacent walls). I also tried chaning the physics type to scene or prop with no change in behaviour. I have no idea what to make of this. The scripts look okay, though I don't have a great deal of lua experience. (read: none)

There's GOT to be more than just assigning a door script to an object. Could someone point me in a direction to look? Or, better yet is there a decent set of tutorials out there? I don't like video tutorials. While for instance Jorn's is excellent.. I just have trouble working with them. Not to mention half the time they're showing code I end up squinting until my retinas burst. I've found a smattering of guides and reference materials but nothing that addresses doors specifically (so far).

Thanks for your advice.

Oh, and (possibly) relevant platform details:

Linux Mint 17 and Leadwerks Standard (Steam)

That is very odd, but uh the problem might be caused by it by intersecting into the walls or what ever as in general you don't want most things intersecting into something. make sure it's not intersecting.

I've also heard that the Linux App version is pretty buggy as well right now

and uh I don't think Linux Mint 17 is considered supported, only Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit was it?(correct me if I am wrong haven't used Linux in a long time) has been tested.

Processor: AMD A6-3420M APU integrated Radeon HD Graphics 1.50 GHz

I double checked, no intersections. there's a thin space along all door surface to the nearest objects.

The only thing I could class as a bug in the Leadwerks interface was that the scene list wouldn't show sometimes. Something I haven't seen in awhile. Otherwise seems to work (and compile) fine.

For all intents and purposes, Mint IS Ubuntu with some extra software (more or less). Everything that is supposed to work with Ubutntu seems to work in Mint (including Steam and all ~100 games I have for it on the Linux side) so I'm not sure that would be a factor for such a specific oddity.

Another thing I notice is the behaviour isn't exactly the same between individual uses of the door. For instance the swinging door.. the sinking in and the "murderous tornado" behaviour can happen from one use to another in the same session.

Another bit of information, the only thing I've done at the C++ level is the removal of the "default" camera, in favour of the lua scripts doing so by way of fps controller prefab.

I double checked, no intersections. there's a thin space along all door surface to the nearest objects.

The only thing I could class as a bug in the Leadwerks interface was that the scene list wouldn't show sometimes. Something I haven't seen in awhile. Otherwise seems to work (and compile) fine.

well that is not the problem then

For all intents and purposes, Mint IS Ubuntu with some extra software (more or less). Everything that is supposed to work with Ubutntu seems to work in Mint (including Steam and all ~100 games I have for it on the Linux side) so I'm not sure that would be a factor for such a specific oddity.

hmm well ok

glad to hear your not having to many problems with it.

Another thing I notice is the behaviour isn't exactly the same between individual uses of the door. For instance the swinging door.. the sinking in and the "murderous tornado" behaviour can happen from one use to another in the same session.

Another bit of information, the only thing I've done at the C++ level is the removal of the "default" camera, in favour of the lua scripts doing so by way of fps controller prefab.

I don't own the c++ dlc so I can't help you there. But i think Josh will be able to help you more on this than me.

Yessir. That's the guide I spoke of in my first post. I initially started with the full setup, collision box, auto opening etc. I turfed that for manual door usage because it was acting oddly there too.

if you can please attach the map that your having it trouble in, it's a bit hard to help without it.

Sure can.

The swing door I'm sure has incorrect script settings, as I've given up on that and focused on the sliding door. Speaking of which, Yeah, sorry, I barely name my stuff. However, I've named these doors aptly: Swingdoor and Sliding door.

Edit: Remember, attach file. *mumble*

They are acting really strange O_0

So it do, huh. As suspected, my own idiocy is to blame. I had that unchecked on my map. Soon as I check it, it works just fine (well, needs tweaking, but it's not swirling around killing people.

Thanks everyone, mystery solved.

yep make sure have that Manuel activate set to true xD

That is very odd, but uh the problem might be caused by it by intersecting into the walls or what ever as in general you don't want most things intersecting into something. make sure it's not intersecting.

I've also heard that the Linux App version is pretty buggy as well right now

and uh I don't think Linux Mint 17 is considered supported, only Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit was it?(correct me if I am wrong haven't used Linux in a long time) has been tested.

Mint is Ubuntu with a different desktop environment - everything else is the same (quite literaly they start with ubuntu 14.04, remove unity and add in a non retarded desktop ). However if you report a bug and it's no ubuntu 14.04 it gets rejected

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

Mint is Ubuntu with a different desktop environment - everything else is the same (quite literaly they start with ubuntu 14.04, remove unity and add in a non retarded desktop ). However if you report a bug and it's no ubuntu 14.04 it gets rejected

thanks for the clarification on that, Guppywink.png I am a noob when it comes to Linux/MacOS stuff laugh.png

The first thing I notice is the pin value is 0,0,0. That means there's no rotational axis defined for the hinge, which is really bad.

If manual activate is disabled, the player script thinks this is just a regular object that can be picked up. So you're not opening the door at all, you're just grabbing and pulling something that is on a locked hinge joint. Increase the mass to 10 and that will stop happening.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The first thing I notice is the pin value is 0,0,0. That means there's no rotational axis defined for the hinge, which is really bad.

If manual activate is disabled, the player script thinks this is just a regular object that can be picked up. So you're not opening the door at all, you're just grabbing and pulling something that is on a locked hinge joint. Increase the mass to 10 and that will stop happening.

hey josh, how would you create a physic's based door that the player can pull/push with the mouse to open/close?

Create a hinge joint that isn't motorized / locked. The player script probably needs some modification to change the way it interacts with picked objects so it doesn't try to rotate the door when you grab it, and just adds force in one specific spot.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.