Assigning material alters all placed models

Guppy

It the same thing using the non drag and drop method - this has got to be a bug, if it's not then I respectfully request a way to get around this. ( it's pure models not a prefab )

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

If it is the same exact model, it's an instance of the first one, so yes they would have the same material.

You have to load them in code as an asset::copy or use sepeate mdl's to get around this via editor.

You could also use an atlas shader to vary the instances (which would be faster than seperate copies to render)

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

So in other words in order to have different textures, I need separate models or placing it in code?

One would imagine altering textures for different weathering effects was a common use case - and doing it in code means the level artist has no control over it :(

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

This has been a conundrum since the LE 2 days. We have asked for a way to be able to make separate instances in the editor. Maybe by holding a key combination down when dragging in a model. Seeing Josh's view on having an option on the materials in another thread I would be surprised he adds this option in.

The atlas shader works, but if your giant texture is too big (I think it was 8000 something in size we tried) things start getting unstable in the editor and some intel gfx cards don't seem to support it. So depending on how man variations you want there can be limitations with the atlas shader.

Why it is not like others 3D engines ? i mean if you need a model repeating you create a prefab.

Otherwise duplicating a model you can change the texture without affecting the others.

Instances are more efficient and the majority of the time you want instanced models, but Josh really still needs to give us a way for when we don't via the editor. I mean ideally an editor of a game engine would give the users ALL of it's API functionality via the editor as well. However I think he added this functionality after the editor was already done.

• Upvote 2

• 4 years later...
  • Josh locked this topic