VS 2008 console window stays up

Rick

and I only ever use release

Don't you ever step through your code when debugging things?

That sometimes happens to me, but i disabled the console for the release version

Yeah me too, but I do a ton of debugging before release, so it's kind of annoying to have these console windows open that I can't seem to close.

You can close the windows when you press Shift-F5 in VC2008. But it only works when your program doesn't crash, so don't make mistakes in your code.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Oh, I didn't realise you meant staying open, as in: "Can't be closed". What I get, program closes the console then says "Press any key to continue . . . . ." Press any key, and it closes.

Since I can't replicate the situation, I can only guess, and assume that ending the process cmd.exe doesn't have any effect?

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

It's not cmd.exe which runs it, but the actual exe name which VS2008 creates.

Howeever, when that happens, the whole exe is not even visible in the process list of Task Manager!

And when you try to close the window, there never comes even that "Program is not responding, press End to end it." dialog.

And when you try to log out or to restart Windows, Windows just hangs.

The only semi-safe way to close the hanging windows is to close all programs, and then kill all remaining processes from Task Manager, then wait a minute or two until there is for sure no harddisk action anymore (make sure to pull the network cable out, to prevent that some programs start to alter files on your harddisk when they create internet cache files), and hit the reset key.

That way you don't get a forced Check Disk from XP, since all files were closed when the hard reset happened.

Hard reset is still "softer" than hard power-off (which is also softer than "powercable out"), but it depends on your hardware if they are softer. Anyway, it can't harm to use hard reset instead of hard power-off, since it can't be harder in any case.

So, instead of going through this process several times a day, I think Josh should fix it :blink:

It didn't happen before LE 2.31.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■