Leadwerks Wars

Josh

We have our soldier model. Here's my concept for a troop transport. The idea is you would get everyone loaded in this thing, then head out, because it protects the players and gets a lot of people to the objective all at once.

If we get to where all we have is the soldier, one vehicle, two identical factories and a run down house between them, all on a bleak landscape, in a playable game, then that's fantastic.

post-1-12662913703693_thumb.png

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

With Leadwerk's awesome lighting, i think it would be cool to have it effect gameplay.

Could be just day/night, or something cool like theif games had, where you could hide in the shadows.

Oh, i like your vehicle concept Josh, that would be cool for troop transport..

Win 7 64, LE 2.31, Liquid Cooled I7-960 @ 4.00GHz, 6GB DDR3 Ram @ 1600mhz, BFG GTX295, Sound Blaster X-FI.

time delay weapons and booby traps...

effective camoulflage....

--Mike

I initially took the above to mean literal 'time delay' weapons, and not just delayed fuses, so...

a counter to these traps, called 'burst' mode (which depletes without some form of recharging):

- speeds the player's movement for a short distance (opportunity to show off kewl rendering techniques -- both from

the player's perspective and those viewing the player)

- can be used to counter getting stuck in a time-delay booby-trap (one that makes the player move like molasses

and become an easy target)

- can take you out of harm's way ('incoming!') far enough from blast radius that you don't die

- can be used to get somewhere faster, if you can afford to use it that way

:)

Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit | Q6600 2.40 GHZ | 8GB RAM | 320MB Nvidia 8800GTS

I think if you give every soldier some sort of C4 explosive then it'll make the veichle usage much more interesting since you can't just rush in with your tank otherwise someone will just run at you and chuck down some C4 (although I guess people will be moving slower so you might need to remove any rapid fire weapons from within the tank).

Something that might be cool is electrical sensors which sense electrical activity, i.e electrical weapons, other sensors and other suits. Players could shud down their suit akin to Shattered Horizon. You could have a whole host of sensors such as infra-red, nightvision and movement-vision (plus aforementioned electrical sensor) but you could limit to one-type per person or make them expemsive so that teams have to co-ordinate and share information. There could also be things to block individual sensors such as cold-blooded thermal camoflage.

Something that would also be nice is a UAV which instead of showing as dots on the map comes up as a toggle-able display on each players HUD of the camera from the UAV piloted by a member of the team.

My last idea is more of a pet-peeve than anything which is the ability to choose what kind of sight to use (Modern Warfare 2 sort of got this right with the RDS and the holo sight) but I'd like to see even more options. A good attachment system would be brill too (although it wouldn't neccesarily be good for this game).

EDIT: How many shots should each person take before they die?

Edited by Ending Credits

AMD Phenom 9850 (X4 2.5GHz) | 1066MHz CL5 GEIL Black Dragon (800MHz) | Powercolor ATI 4870 1GB | DFI 790FXB-M2RSH | 24" 1920x1200 | Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate

We have our soldier model. Here's my concept for a troop transport. The idea is you would get everyone loaded in this thing, then head out, because it protects the players and gets a lot of people to the objective all at once.

If we get to where all we have is the soldier, one vehicle, two identical factories and a run down house between them, all on a bleak landscape, in a playable game, then that's fantastic.

post-1-12662913703693_thumb.png

Damn Josh, You should post that in the art section. That's some good stuff bro. :huh:

AMD Phenom II x6 1100T - 16GB RAM - ATI 5870 HD - OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD

76561197984667096.png

Damn Josh, You should post that in the art section. That's some good stuff bro. :)

Not as good as his Scary Monster :huh:

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

how things will be centrelised and share ?

The time 2020 ? 2420 ? the technologie of weapons and vehiculs depend on that.

One things that be cool it's the possibliti to make prisonner. i don't not knwn how to really impact the game play but ithingking about it.

sorry for my english :huh:

Wait a minute:

It will be open-source and available to all licensees.

This game will be written entirely in Lua.

Of which, not all licensees can use lua in the engine...

Is this a sort of "Look what you could win..." type of promotion?

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

How does one get in one this, I would love to be part of this... the critical part of any FPS is look and feel. As far as SP or MP, MP is the cleanest due to the lack of AI requirements, although the comm stuff can get a little frustrating...

As far as weapons I would suggect a menu drive loadout screen so that a player can select thier own weapons based upon the specifc server constriants...

Vehicles, one of the biggest issues in most games is that the vehicles are destroyed to easily it should take 2 or 3 direct hits on a vehicle to disable it... in COD 5 WaW the tanks would be destroyed by a single RPG round to the rear, this meant no one used them in MP games...

The next big challenge is game types, like Capture the flag, Search and Destroy, Sabatage, Recon, Kill the Commander, etc... these all have very specific requirements and any design needs to allow the game type to be seleactable within any map, which changes the whole dynamic of that map..

Finally, weapons.. if the game is an era based game weapons need to be realistic in thier capabilities and damage, Future is always better because you don't have a precedent for the performance, although games like Crysis and BF2142 failed in this, you are running around with high tech weaponry and still when you shoot someone you fire 50 rounds into them and they are still not down...

If it's not Tactical realism then you are just playing..

I think you guys are missing the point of this project. It's not to make a AAA FPS, but to serve as an example to the licensees of the capabilities of Leadwerks and hopefully kick-start some projects. In my eyes, this project should be simple but still have enough functionality for others to use as a base. For example, we don't need 30 different types of characters, abilities, weapons, vehicles, or maps. Just 1 of each of these will do fine. The simpler this project is, the sooner it can be put to use. The sooner it can be put to use = many more Leadwerks projects further in development (which will ultimately prove as a testament of how easy Leadwerks is to develop for = more $$$ for Josh).

The release of fully working source-code to help kick-start other projects is a tried and true method in the game industry. For example, the number 1 most modded engine: Source, has some 5,000 mods in development with 100 already released. I believe this is for two reasons, the strong community of source developers and the total release of the source code for both HL2 SP and HL2:DM.

In short, this project best serves as an example for Leadwerks licensees -- not as the next big MP game. Hell, this project doesn't even need to be fun or balanced. As long as it has a solid multi-player FPS infrastructure, than that's good enough.

Now I'm not a 2.3 licensee yet, but when I saw this thread, it turned me from a skeptic to a Leadwerks enthusiast. However, seeing the recent replies to this thread today, I felt compelled to bring this to Josh's attention.

I aggree somewhat. It is true that the project needs to be boxed in, Josh gives the list of features and manages assets, we (the community) should provide the assets and scripts or script snippets.

However we do need enthusiasm, this could be shown in the form of improving upon the design instead of adding to it. I really like the idea of a game thats playable and where I can use parts of it to learn how to code my own things if I ever need to. And that is why I would very much like to see this project succeed. Enthusiasm is also very important for that to happen.

Might I suggest a completely seperate forum section for this project? It would do it good to get things organized with time.

Win7: 3.4GHz i7, 16Gb RAM DDR3, Radeon HD 6970 2048MB

Well, the idea is to put a game concept out there, and then work towards it. I think the first part is to simply make a camera with our soldier character running around in third person view. From there, it's not hard to add multiplayer so we can run around together in a scene.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The idea of a separate forum section it's important. Easy to follow.

Josh You right about creating the model and a 3dr view camera. It's Simple and can be the base to start.

the important thing it to show how to do things for evryone can begin from the start and follow the project.

Like a big tutorial constantly in progress.

whit that say im go learn my english :P

Guest francois leclerc

sounds like a good idea.

possible sources for looking into gameplay mechanics would be:

- Red Orchestra

- the "Battlefield" series (I would choose BF1942, BFVietnam, BF2 or BFBadCompany)

- Fuels of War

- Operation Flashpoint - Cold War Crisis - GOTY (a classic!)

- Operation Flashpoint - Dragon Rising

(the crippled successor of OFP-CWC,

here you can learn a lot of things to avoid)

- Arma 1 & Arma 2 (Arma = Armed Assault)

So, yes, similar games have been done.

The crux is to personally examine the games closely,

look what has been well perceived or disliked by many players

and to incorporate the examinations into a new game.

Also it is important to stick to the KISS rule.

The negative example (Operation Flashpoint - Dragon Rising by Codemasters) is a great resource

for learning what is a no no in game development and support.

The developers of that game had such ambitious plans, that they had to start over

development from scratch (i think) 3 times in 8 years.

Pre-Release they promised a sandbox military simulation with an island of 256km² free to explore.

The end result was a flawed "terrain corridor shooter", that has not been fixed until today,

the vehicle physics and overall handling are stubborn for a company that is known for producing racing games,

the multiplayer part is unplayable for many, because they did not release dedicated server files

and the players have to host their own games via a P2P network

(which is kind of a bad choice for large environments and lots of AI companions i guess).

Codemasters dropped the support 5 months (!) after release,

after having released two patches that fixed basically none of the

major bugs that have been pointed out by the community over and over again.

Just by contrasting Operation Flashpoint - Cold War Crisis and Operation Flashpoint (2) - Dragon Rising,

there are so many things one can learn.

So, to finish my rambling:

Your Idea is a great opportunity for the community to learn first hand how to work on a project from start to finish.

I hope that it also enriches the forums with hints and tutorials,

as well as a detailed developer diary in the blogs.

I wish all participants success! :)

@doozy: i agree.

I read the thread does that count as making a start Robin? :)

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Guest Red Ocktober

doozy said:

In my eyes, this project should be simple but still have enough functionality for others to use as a base. For example, we don't need 30 different types of characters, abilities, weapons, vehicles, or maps. Just 1 of each of these will do fine. The simpler this project is, the sooner it can be put to use. The sooner it can be put to use = many more Leadwerks projects further in development (which will ultimately prove as a testament of how easy Leadwerks is to develop for = more $$$ for Josh).

i have to agree with this... opening up the demo to too much community input is a sure way to doom it...

something simple, descriptive of the engine, and a little challenging or fun should fit the bill...

something like this would be perfect...

5.jpg

click download and play on your system (recommended) or click the other buttons to view slideshow or try and play in browser

josh said:

Well, the idea is to put a game concept out there, and then work towards it.

i think that would be a mistake... there's already enough content here to whip something similar up in a few days... a week at the most... get some of hphan's zombies... add some sorta terrain or scene (you've got railroad cars and oil cans, litter the scene with a few of these)... and load up the weapons and commence firing...

community projects rarely ever get completed...

--Mike