Unwanted Window

gordonramp

When I run a 'start.lua' file by double-clicking the Engine.exe or if I pull the 'start.lua' file onto the Engine.exe to start it, I get this annoying window. Also when the program finishes the window with text appears, presumably displaying the unloading of files. Is it possible to not have this occurring? I've noticed that the window doesn't appear when I run 'start.lua' from the script editor.

window.jpg

AMD Athlon x2 7750 2.7ghz, 6gb ddr2 ram, Galaxy9800GT 1gig ddr2 video card, Windows 7,64.

• 4 months later...

I would also be interested in knowing how to disable this window.

I have read through all the Lua posts on the forums, viewed all tutorials and checked the wiki and can see no mention of how to get rid of this window.

I suspected it may be disabled via a command line switch but it is not mentioned in the wiki.

Can this window be disabled?

You have to recompile eninge.exe to a windows application.

If you want to make it the easy way. Just download the ProjectWizard

and select C++ VS200x Windows as configuration and Basic as the project type.

Name the project Engine. Compile and you will get a Engine.exe without that console window

AV MX Linux

Roland: I tried what you suggested and it doesn't work, but thank you for the response anyway.

Even though Engine.exe is a console application there must be some way of hiding the window as it doesn't appear when running scripts from the script editor (as mentioned in the first post by gordonramp).

An alternative would be to write an engine.exe from scratch as a windows application which accepts a Lua script file as a command line argument but I am not sure how to code this.

Wiki:

Script Interpreter

The Leadwerks Engine SDK provides a script interpreter so that a program may be written entirely in script. The release version of the interpreter is called "Engine.exe" and the debug version is named "Engine.debug.exe". The debug version can be used to retrieve additional information about an application crash, but it will run much slower.

Commandline Arguments

The following arguments can be passed to the script interpreter via the command line:

+script <scriptfile>

<scriptfile>

-s (silent mode)

Examples:

engine.exe +script "mygame.lua"

engine.exe "mygame.lua"

engine.exe "mygame.lua" -s

engine.exe "mygame.lua" +s 1

engine.exe -s

Silent mode disables notification messages.

If no script is specified in the command line, the interpreter will attempt to load the file "start.luac". If this file is not found, the interpreter will attempt to load the file "start.lua".

This would suggest that using the -s parameter hides the console window but I am not sure since I do not use LUA. Worth a shot though.

Laurens: I tried that before posting. unless I was doing it wrong it didn't actually appear to do anything at all. I tried various combinations including -s and +s (both before and after the name of the script file)as well as with the number 1 after +s as shown in the wiki.

• 1 year later...