Vulkan Graphics API

josk

Vulkan is the newly announced name for the next generation of Open GL (pretty much 5.0). It's an update to Open GL, but kind of something new in itself. They rewrote the API. Supposed to be organized a bit better now I believe.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Will Leadwerks have to change to this?

At some point it means, rewrite shaders only. IF LE3 is well designed and the editor is graphic API decoupled, the editor will not be impacted only the rendering.

When LE3 Will go PBR this could be good at same time to move to Vulkan perhaps.

It's unified API so you can make a game for desktop, mobiles, consoles and drivers should be less problematic.

Valve support is also a big point.

Stop toying and make games

It sounds like basically all OpenGL 4.2/.3 hardware should be able to handle Vulkan, could be quite worthwhile to pursue it as you might not even be excluding a single customer that can already run LW today but rather add a few new ones as it seems that the Intel Linux drivers could support Vulkan before they are even close to OpenGL 4.

This might also be the stepping stone back into sustainable mobile support because it should work on all GLES 3.1 (or higher) hardware, if the drivers happen.

I hope you are staying on top of this.

Very very interested. OpenGL is overdue for a big revision and having low-level access would be great.

I assume they're getting rid of all the state ****, that has been on the map for years.

One cross-platform graphics API that is actually cross-platform would sure be nice.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think it's too soon to say that. Vulkan is probably two years away from being usable, and no clear demand has been established for mobile support. But this is a step in the right direction for computer graphics.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think it's too soon to say that. Vulkan is probably two years away from being usable, and no clear demand has been established for mobile support. But this is a step in the right direction for computer graphics.

They are using mantle courtesy of AMD so they have a big leg up this time round. Opposed to writing it from scratch.

It may be sooner than 2 years to be honest as Brad Wardel at Stardock has been tweeting about DX12 and Vulkan like no ones business and how awesome it is.

EDIT: Initial specs and Implementations expected later this year :)