Material Shade mode not working

YouGroove

The texture is likely all black. If you give it a white background instead of using the alpha channel, it will work.

This image is for shade (multiplicative) blending. It has a white background and no alpha channel:

post-1-0-28490300-1425999579.png

This image is for alpha blending. The color is solid and it uses the alpha channel to indicate the transparency of each pixel:

post-1-0-98933500-1425999604.png

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

That's strange , why not using alpha channel like all transparent images ?

It's less confusing when we use transparent to use alpah everywhere insteda of having a specific cases no ?

(and it shouldn't be so hard to change and put alpha in the shader)

Stop toying and make games

Thanks Shadmar,

But once again , it's valuable information hidden in the forum thread instead of docs sleep.png

I love how YouGroove actually replied to the original thread (link in shadmar's post), which means he already had the same issue nearly 2 years ago but forgot about it. :)

But I agree this stuff needs to be part of (at least) the beginners guide.

• Upvote 2

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Confirmed! Shade does not work for me either. Material set to shade. Blends nicely only if the colour of particles is white any other colour will not blend with the background.

post-4357-0-65710400-1426437100_thumb.jpg

post-4357-0-79744000-1426437104_thumb.jpg

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

I think thats the requirement though - background to be white if using the shade blend and you cant use the start/end color options because it will affect the white background.

if using the alpha blend then you can use the start/end color options, as the color doesn't effect alpha. Same can be done with the light blend as the background would be all black and wont be affected by color changes as shown in shadmars post's example.

Seems to be a matter of just picking which blend is best for you based on what your texture looks like.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

I think thats the requirement though - background to be white if using the shade blend and you cant use the start/end color options because it will affect the white background.

What are the color rules ?

I have no documentation, not tutorial , nothing on that blink.png

Just trying using white for the two color slots, it works, the Shade mode is like transparent.

But again it fails : shade mode just don't ract to lights

post-3271-0-65250500-1426457389_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

There's actually a smoke material included in the default template. Here, I set the alpha curve of the emitter so it only gets up to about halfway, and the smoke blends into this high-contrast scene very well.

smoketest.zip

post-1-0-58807700-1426464544_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I tested your map , and just closing the area with walls , only keeping a point light, we can see Shade mode not working with lightening.

Also i don't ask alpha trick, just simple particles reacting to lightening.

Here, I set the alpha curve of the emitter so it only gets up to about halfway, and the smoke blends into this high-contrast scene very well.

The Alpha curve don't works with particle, why trying to use it as it has no effect on the particles ?

it's a bug if you were not aware of it sleep.png

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/12137-particle-alpha-bug/

post-3271-0-51209800-1426802953_thumb.jpg

Yes it works , but not in all Blending cases.

I needed alpha to work even with tracer effect using blende mode = "Light"

For emissive effects it seems it's not possible to control their alpha until you create a custom shader, anyway i won't use it and use other effects instead as a work around.

And i think we can forget particle lightening in LE3.

post-3271-0-65217600-1426834897_thumb.jpg

Yes it works , but not in all Blending cases.

I needed alpha to work even with tracer effect uiing blende mode = "Light"

Light blend does not use alpha for transparency (see shadmar's link above) as the texture would be non-alpha with a black background. But you could set the endcolor to black and this will help fade the particles.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel