Terrain Painting

gamecreator

I recently discovered (or maybe relearned) that you can't paint lower layers over higher layers. You have to erase the higher layers first for the lower layers to show. This is very unintuitive. When you paint with a texture, you just want to paint. You don't want to worry about figuring out which layer (or layers!) might need to be erased first. Please have the editor take this into consideration (perhaps erasing all other layers for you automatically at the same time).

Also, I don't believe undo works with terrain painting (and perhaps other terrain functions). Please implement.

I feel these will be very crucial improvements, especially when vegetation is released.

• Upvote 1

We may switch the terrain painting over to bitwise flags. Instead of storing one RGBA texture for each four layer, it will store a single RGBA texture and use bitwise flags to make terrain layer on/off at each point. The disadvantage is each point is either 0% or 100%, the advantage is massive storage savings.

If this occurs then the bitwise logic makes it each to implement this. Otherwise, it would involve rendering to multiple stored textures at a time for all the texture layers.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.