Blender now available on steam

Thirsty Panther

I personally think this is good, but I find it interesting that people seem to like this fact that software is making it onto Steam but some are the same that hate the idea of the Windows App store. Steam is literally the same thing. Steam could be considered worse perhaps since it's slowly becoming the defacto app store for all platforms which means they will hold a ton of power which means you will basically be forced to release your software on Steam if you want to reach the masses, but that also means you are giving Valve 30% of your sales. I just find all the non-game software starting to get on Steam to be interesting.

• Upvote 2

Blender is open source software. The goal of this is simply to reach more users (free advertising for a free product). If you want to add something to blender, learn how to contribute to the open source world. Don't be a turd by trying to profit off of humanitarian work.

EDIT: It doesn't have workshop integration anyways. And neither should it.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Personnaly, i prefer the standalone installer and be able to launch Blender in any PC without needing any internet connection or any Steam client.

Blender is open source software. The goal of this is simply to reach more users (free advertising for a free product). If you want to add something to blender, learn how to contribute to the open source world. Don't be a turd by trying to profit off of humanitarian work.

+1

It will reach more users now. It is free and even better than Maya LT.

Stop toying and make games