Vote for new game templates

Josh

95 members have voted

1. 1. What game template would you like to see next?

• Racing
    • RPG
    • RTS
    • Side-scroller Shooter
    • 2D Platformer
    • 3D Platformer

The next template I add will most likely be decide based on easy of implementation and understanding, but I would like to see which of these choices you would like most, or if you have other types of games you would like a template for.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Tough decision.

Racing would allow education of the vehicle code.

RPG would allow tables and inventory creation.

RTS would be a bit harder needing decent AI code.

Side scroller would be useful for map generation and enemy paths.

2D platformer is a common request from new users.

3D platformer would allow for introduction of health bars and coin collection code.

Me, I voted for 2D, just for something different from the usual FPS.

RPG is a good choice because it could have many features that can be useful in other games ,too.

RPG is heavy UI and LE3 don't have out of the box UI, i'm not sure this is the best game template for any new comer to LE3.

Stop toying and make games

yes rpg includet is the most i think voted here

in my view my points for rpg here ,leadwerks is a very good plattform for newbies and profis it takes time to learn ,sure if more people use this plattform is a handicap for all because more people more ideas

leadwerks have great potential, the most of the games are 3d shooter you can sell or buy its popular in most plattforms, this was a great step and a template in rpg brings more options twice

- easy 3rd person cam and models with multiplayer fps and controller ,health,pickup items weapons

- fit models and character for touch collusion easy for meele fights simple anime inc.(already for more animations sequences can be addet in the model editor self ) its works great with the same model from make human rig presets game.json later export to blender fondation and animate whatever and addet self individual for who animaton clothes and more as we see in turtorials

-fit wasd keys for direction freerun and the keys for animation maybee wich key they want example for wich animation lua or c++ parameter

select key (j) select animation (2)

select key (k) select animation (5)..and more

really this points are not difficult to added in a template ,from my side i figure some points out of them self , just to make the plattform easy to use in those case and more

and to the staff its really not to make more headache , it can be sold as an dlc or add on additional but if its free its allready ok

this is the thing that every one search and work from the lua side if undertstand this soon not far away

from c++ to make a turtorial to transfer commands i think

sry again all for my stupid posts in topics this was just my experience

The RPG template seems like it would be pretty involved. The GUI aside, will there be fighting, NPC communication/quests, inventory system and item usage, skill tree, spells, etc? Because those are all pretty standard to RPGs.

So it's just the opposite of this:

The next template I add will most likely be decide based on easy of implementation and understanding

The RPG template seems like it would be pretty involved. The GUI aside, will there be fighting, NPC communication/quests, inventory system and item usage, skill tree, spells, etc? Because those are all pretty standard to RPGs.

So it's just the opposite of this:

Completely agree, it would be easier to do tutorial for 2D platformer or some basic racing game. RPG's are too complex.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

I voted for rpg because I think that's what I am working on now. I say "think" because I havn;t purchased a game for over 20 years so I am not up to speed with game conventions. My game is a third person adventure game

with some puzzles and some action ( sword fight " scenes.In the game objects can be picked up so it would be nice to have an inventory.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

I voted on an RTS because it can give everyone plenty of features and would consume less time than a full RPG.

I would have said vehicles because they don't exist yet, but I was thinking that a game template for vehicles wouldn't be as important as documentation and an example vehicle for a newly releasing feature. Learn the vehicle instead of the template or the game.

My second vote would be RPG if you have the time and resources.

Hmm, if you are going to do RPG I hope that you are going to implement a good example of a modifiers system.

I've always wonder how games like Civilization V handle all those modifiers.

This poll hasn't changed my plans for the order to roll these out in, but it has revealed that any GUI system I create needs to include some kind of inventory control UI.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

This pool is great, Josh, you should create more Pools to see if what your customers want align with what you plan to do ;) (just saying)

Other Problems posed by RPG is that there is not just 1 kind of RPG, there is OpenWorld, Staged, Action, Racing, Plataform....almost anything can be turned into RPG, and i guess what most people have in mind when they think of RPG is TES(the Elder Scrolls), NeverWinter, The Witcher Series.

So by having Modules that can be added to existing project you don't really need templates, you just need logic add-ins (now i am just talking out my...) so we could have some check boxes when creating a project stating what we want in, example:

I want to create a Racing Game with RPG Elements (Inventory, Experience, Powers..) but also the ability to make it a 3D Platformer (think of a Transformers Racing RPG). if i use single template, i would not be able to accomplish this easily, but if i have the ability to just select what elements i want to work with from different templates this should be easily achieved.

PS: sorry for the mental diarrh...

This pool is great, Josh, you should create more Pools to see if what your customers want align with what you plan to do wink.png (just saying)

Other Problems posed by RPG is that there is not just 1 kind of RPG, there is OpenWorld, Staged, Action, Racing, Plataform....almost anything can be turned into RPG, and i guess what most people have in mind when they think of RPG is TES(the Elder Scrolls), NeverWinter, The Witcher Series.

So by having Modules that can be added to existing project you don't really need templates, you just need logic add-ins (now i am just talking out my...) so we could have some check boxes when creating a project stating what we want in, example:

I want to create a Racing Game with RPG Elements (Inventory, Experience, Powers..) but also the ability to make it a 3D Platformer (think of a Transformers Racing RPG). if i use single template, i would not be able to accomplish this easily, but if i have the ability to just select what elements i want to work with from different templates this should be easily achieved.

PS: sorry for the mental diarrh...

isn't the point of Leadwerks to provide a tool that has a high potential, but not necessarily high ease of use?

The goal is to make it as easy as possible, while retaining your ability to make a quality game that's your own.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Well, the problem with action-oriented 2.5D-style RPGs (I have Diablo-style in mind) is that if it's simple, it's boring. If it's complex, you need personalised solutions for your problems: you might need to put up a basic database, to be able to use data containers efficiently and to create your own functions which are less physics-heavy than actual leadwerks functions are. These being said, from my point of view, an RPG template would not help much.

What I think that would help is a basic RTS template (again, with less physics-heavy functions), which teaches people how to move the camera around the map, "spawn units", select a unit, select a group of units, give an order to a group of units, give an order which is carried-out until canceled by user, create the fog of war, create an interactive-GUI etc... the ugly part is the enemy AI. I think that an RTS template is more useful because lessons learned from here can be applied in a lot of other genres.

PS: These templates won't really help me, so these were just my two cents...

you have a complete tools like RTS creator based on Leadwerks engine already

uh what? no that is not correct. Blabz did not use LE for this... my understanding was that he used Blitzmax to create his application or at least the initial concept of it.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...