RygtY

How much more expensive is the computer used for 3D modeling than the one used for coding?

I just wanted to know just in case I might decide to start game dev company.

I know for coding one doesn't need much, at most it is a fancy IDE and git, so the hardware can be rather run of the mill or even from the previous decade.

But for 3D modeling, one needs to have a machine with a graphics card that up to the task of rendering lots of polygons and baking lots of textures.

So I want to ask some of you who work in the industry, how much does the modeling computer cost in comparison to the one used for programming?

P.S: Forgive me if I am mistaken in certain aspects.

The biggest expense over a 3 month project is going to be the cost of your employee, the longer the project the bigger the cost. Therefore making the most of that employees time is going to be important. Your first

requirement is can the equipment produce an outcome that is acceptable, if it can how much should I spend on making improvements to the employee's tools, and training

I'm not really "in the industry" per say, but I have many years of game dev experience.

It sort of depends on what you are going for. Most people seem to be able to develop and model on the same machine (at least mid range gaming machines). If you are going for a lot of AAA cutscenes (which is probably a bad thing to try to do as an indie developer), then you would want the top of the line everything. This might also be dated information, but I read somewhere that SLI and Crossfire do not have significant gains in Maya. You may well end up spending more on software than on actual hardware.

Kind of an interesting topic, the general idea is to avoid workstation cards as a small studio:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/12606-a-problem-with-the-video-card/

For coding in C++, a faster processor (possibly with many cores) means that your code will compile faster, but that's really the only edge you get there. Other than that, a much faster processor isn't going to help you much for either department imo.

..from my experience, development machines should be configured on such way, that content creation machines uses much power as possible..for programming part, you should do development on machine you considering low end you support in future. You should have several types of various machines for testing purpose (variant of low/high end rigs), but in general, programming should be done on low end machine, in order to fine tune up performance..

That's overpriced and while it is good enough to write code, compiling it will be a pain.

What is your budget limit? I could try compiling a list of parts for you. PC assembly is so easy a monkey could do it.

That's overpriced and while it is good enough to write code, compiling it will be a pain.

What is your budget limit? I could try compiling a list of parts for you. PC assembly is so easy a monkey could do it.

Hypothetical scenario involves 4 PCs.

Two machines are for modeling, artwork, and audio editing, and the other two are used for coding.

If I really wanted to be a cheapskate I would ask every programmer (including me) to bring their own laptop.

My current calculations place the cost for these four machines at a total cost of around $2500 (not including shipping fees, taxes, and cost of assembly by a third party). If I am being far too miserly, please tell me how much one ought to spend.

Why would you need two machines for coding if everyone is bringing their laptops, and why wouldn't those be sufficient for modelling? You should easily be able to buy parts to build four computers for less than $650 each (650*4=$2600), or you could alternatively find a cheaper computer model with a decent CPU that you could upgrade the GPU. Like DerRidda said, it best to build your own if you can since you only need to buy parts that you actually need. I recommend this site if you choose to since you can compare prices and even build a computer before ordering: https://pcpartpicker.com/

The desktop you pointed out has a processor with way too low of a clock speed for really any 3D game, so I feel that you would run into a ton of performance issues early on for both coding and art. You also never said if you were using Leadwerks or not, so that could impact the price range.

Hypothetical scenario involves 4 PCs.

Two machines are for modeling, artwork, and audio editing, and the other two are used for coding.

If I really wanted to be a cheapskate I would ask every programmer (including me) to bring their own laptop.

My current calculations place the cost for these four machines at a total cost of around $2500 (not including shipping fees, taxes, and cost of assembly by a third party). If I am being far too miserly, please tell me how much one ought to spend.

For a properly equipped studio 2.5k would be a decent price to pay per machine per person. If you really do not have enough money to spend on PCs, a BYOD (bring your own device) scenario wouldn't even be a bad idea. You can then really go all out on one single computer with those 2.5k and set it up as a server for compilation and rendering, maybe even to provide the whole desktop remotely.

But that machine you linked to? Every coder worth their salt would turn on their heel and leave the moment they saw it.

For a properly equipped studio 2.5k would be a decent price to pay per machine per person. If you really do not have enough money to spend on PCs, a BYOD (bring your own device) scenario wouldn't even be a bad idea. You can then really go all out on one single computer with those 2.5k and set it up as a server for compilation and rendering, maybe even to provide the whole desktop remotely.

But that machine you linked to? Every coder worth their salt would turn on their heel and leave the moment they saw it.

Ok what about one of those Gigabyte Brix machines?

More specifically this one.

BTW I did consider the use of a "server" to compile and perhaps I should've mentioned that near the start of this thread.

An AMD APU laptop would work ...

When traveling I use my laptop ..its bad.. but it can be used for programming and 3D modeling without issues...

1.4Ghz Quad-Core A6-3400M 2.3Ghz Turbo

HD6520G Graphics

8gigs DDR3 1333mhz ram

320gig HDD

15.6" LED screen

I can do everything with that..programming,3D modeling, encoding and large scale terrain generation.. even when plugging it into a 46" HDTV.

If the specs are that or higher for any computer you get.. I think you will be fine..