Windows 10?

drarem

I've read that any program that is designed to run on Windows 7 or 8/8.1 (Which Leadwerks does.) will run without a problem on 10. And If not, I'm sure Josh will rebuild the solutions/fix the issues when the update comes out later this month. But honestly, I don't see why LE wouldn't work.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

I've read that any program that is designed to run on Windows 7 or 8/8.1 (Which Leadwerks does.) will run without a problem on 10.

Well, the key phrase is "designed to run on"... unfortunately i have several programs that are pre-windows 7 that I still use regularly. While most continue to run on windows 7 with minimal problems, there have been reported problems with windows 8. 3DWS is an example of something I still use that has been reported to not work on 8. I'm personally in no hurry to upgrade to 10 as I want to avoid the frustration of finding several programs rendered useless. But I suspect that LE3 itself will have little to no issues running on 10.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

I use win 7 for same reason as Mck . In my opinion the le3 editor s not as nifty as 3dws when I comes tomodeling though it has improved

recently

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

..speed ? Speed of what? From what I can see around, bloody thing doesnt even work with its own drivers..and even if mentioned speed is a factor, which i heavily disagree, what speed factor we talking about ? 100, 50, 2 ?? Speed over what? Opening files and folders? If it is dev cycle related to software used to make engines/games, Im already pumping nice 150-200 FPS average over most complex scenes i have in few of my projects..on oposite side, it seems that backward compatibility is rather compromised with W10, so 'speed' seems to be a weak reason to get on to W10..

Windows 10 vs Windows 7 – Gaming and DirectX 12

We touched earlier on how gaming performance hasn’t changed much on Windows 10, but it’s worth elaborating.

In fact there's a slight drop in performance on average, with Windows 10 tending to be about 0.5% slower than Windows 7, particularly with older games – Crysis 3, for instance – although there are some instances where the roles are reversed. Of course 0.5% is a ridiculously small amount either way, so much so that it’s not worth worrying about.

Elsewhere Windows 7 has proven to be a robust and reliable gaming platform, though not one entirely stacked with innovation – it’s a solid base on which a host of gaming tools are built.

Source: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/windows-10-vs-windows-7

Don't get all hurt.. just saying from my own experience comparing W7 and W8.1, both clean installs on the same laptop. Startup times, shutdown times, searching for files, opening files and folders, stability, compatibility with new devices etc.. I don't game much so to me the overall performance of the system is more important than the 0.5% drop in gaming speed, then again it will most likely beat W7 in a few months once the drivers get polished. And as for LE3 I don't see how that would affect it at all.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of issues coming in the future with windows 10..

("They" meaning Microshaft)

They seem to think that no one will ever need to replace any hardware(a PC is NOT a damn console or a damn handheld device)... that's BS

They also think that everyone's computer is the same(also not a damn console or handheld device) ... also BS

They also think its a good idea to install drivers automatically that aren't directly from the manufacturer...in my experience that never ends well..

They also think that its a good idea to force automatic updates...not all of their updates work like they should..

They also seem to think its a good idea to force the Windows 10 update through windows updates on computers that don't have Windows 10 yet ...that's also BS

They also removed a lot of stuff that worked fine in previous operating systems ..like Windows gadgets..something I still use in Windows 7 ...among other programs that were very useful ..but now you have to install 3rd party stuff just to get that functionality back..

They also think its a good idea later to charge people a sub for windows updates(probably for future use of the OS)...like internet, other bills and the constant nickel and diming isn't bad enough already in this country ...probably others too..

I did hear that Windows 10 runs pretty fast ...like 8 did...just because its made to run on multiple types of CPU's...including ARM..

Seems like they are trying to eliminate choice while still trying to give people options...

Also there WILL be compatibility issues ...so this nonsense with updating to Windows 10 through windows update is a huge bad idea... I still have some old programs im running ..like 5-10 year old programs...

but hey ..they DO have a rollback feature! ...

I have a lot more things to list but I cant recall them right now...

But Michael_J says his game runs on Windows 10 ...the Leadwerks 3 editor should too ...but im not sure since im not installing Windows 10 to try it..

EDIT: yeah didn't look at the last response date...so im a bit late to this party...my bad..

• Upvote 1

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

• 2 weeks later...

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

Thing is, if all people ever do is complain and complain some more without acting on those complaints they deserve no better.

There are alternatives, ranging from the obvious choices of OS X and Linux, or young yet surprisingly successful contenders like ChromeOS to more obscure ones like PC-BSD and Android x86.

Microsoft is so aware of how much they own the PC business that they are not even trying to hide that they are still 100% percent going to use Windows on the desktop as a vehicle to push their adoption in markets they aren't yet important in BECAUSE YOU ARE GOING TO BUY IT ANYWAY.

Either directly via an OEM license, indirectly when you buy a new computer or when the OS as a service cash out scheme finally kicks in.

Nobody can help you if you won't help yourself first.

Well ...I look at it this way ... linux is still foreign ...really ..to windows users.. especially if they wont make it easier to use like a Windows OS... and a ton of every day 3rd party programs that run on Windows easily will NOT run on linux easily .. as well as games..

I have installed and tried linux multiple times(Red Hat,Suse,Ubuntu among others) ...but its always ended badly, probably since I have been using Windows since version 3.1...every version of Windows..

Now that they are forcing this Windows 10 on us(even though i have auto-updates turned off currently on my Windows 7) I badly want to switch ..but it will still end badly...im even considering Steam OS..but Steam OS probably will have the same issues and restrictions other linux versions have...I have hundreds of programs that run on Windows that will NOT run on linux...and if/when they do they run like **** or have other issues..

I think Linux is for people who enjoy messing around with the os.I like windows cos it manly keeps out of my way. Its trouble shooting features seldom produce a usefull resut but who cares . using le with windows also seems more trouble free than Linux.

• Upvote 2

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

I purposefully didn't make this about Windows versus Linux, see the list with all the other contenders above. Pretty much none of those complaints hold water when used against OS X.

And here's an anecdote about user friendliness:

My dear old mother uses Ubuntu and "tech support" requests from her went all the way down, so did my nephew and it was all quiet on his side once I got Minecraft and the modlauncher going.

Then my nephew got a cheapo <400€ laptop with Windows and "oddly" enough I recently had to flatten that thing because it was full of malware.

You know, the subtle ones that spawn 5 popup windows per hour and place toolbars on the screen.

But what if I told you you do not have to leave what's familiar behind? Here's the Windows user's answer to independence from corporate madness: https://reactos.org

Oddly enough this project should be just what those always-complaining-yet-never-switching-systems want but it just can't seem to get the backing and community support it needs to prosper and that's after 17 years!

It's the same with every Windows release that displeases people:

ME: They complain, yet do nothing.

Vista: They complain, yet do nothing.

8(.1): They complain, yet do nothing.

10: They complain, yet do nothing.

I think my good friend Vaas has something to say about that:

As you may or may not know I am a former Windows user. In January I switched over to Ubuntu and have no regrets about doing that at all. During the years I have installed Ubuntu now and then to see the progress of things. This time it was Bingo! All the programs I'm using worked great without any magic touch. Just click and install as in Windows.

Which programs? Well I don't use a big arsenal these day. Blender, 3DCoat, Leadwerks, Esenthel, Gimp, CodeBlocks, NetBeans and some other stuff as Ardour & Audacity (music), FileZilla (ftp), CollabNet (Git). All those was just as easy installed as in Windows (download and click to install).

Settings in Ubuntu. To tell the truth I don't know to much about them as I haven't had the need for any changes after my first install. All worked just great after install. But just in case there is the need, there is a control-panel with easy settings (in fact more easy than in Windows if you ask me).

Doing magic commands in the command prompt then? This seems to be a myth coming from the old days. There is no need for that as these days everything is graphical as it is in Windows. In some really rare cases (as in Windows) you might have to give some command in the terminal. Well.. That's done as easy as in Windows.

Updates of both the OS and the installed programs comes nice and easy as it does in Widows, by auto-magic if you allow that.

I could go on for a bit, but to make it short. I haven't had any reason to do anything more complicated than I did in Windows to the things going. Is there anything that I miss from Windows. No. I have same programs or equivalent in Ubuntu as I had in Windows.

I don't like to spend hours fixing with the OS or programs to get them going either, and I haven't. Coming to Leadwerks in Linux then. It works fine although there are some minor things that needs to be fixed (as the missing drag and drop of files into the editor). But those are minor things that can be worked around very easy. No big deal.

All and all I can say that I haven't regretted my switch to Linux and have no intention what so ever of turning back to Windows. Does this mean that Linux is better that Windows. I my view its not better or worse, its just another OS with one big nice feature, its Free, has always been and will always be.

Just wanted to write this as many (most ?) seems to think that you need to be some computer geek to run Linux. You don't.

Now this was about Windows 10. I think its a good thing if MS could quickly remove all the old versions and get everything under one roof (I think this was the intentions with 10 ). For gamers there is the new DirectX 12 which will make things run faster. Besides that and some cosmetics its (as I have understood it) more or less nothing more than a big servicepack of Windows 8, so I would not worry to much installing it.

• Upvote 1

AV MX Linux

As you may or may not know I am a former Windows user. In January I switched over to Ubuntu and have no regrets about doing that at all. During the years I have installed Ubuntu now and then to see the progress of things. This time it was Bingo! All the programs I'm using worked great without any magic touch. Just click and install as in Windows.

Which programs? Well I don't use a big arsenal these day. Blender, 3DCoat, Leadwerks, Esenthel, Gimp, CodeBlocks, NetBeans and some other stuff as Ardour & Audacity (music), FileZilla (ftp), CollabNet (Git). All those was just as easy installed as in Windows (download and click to install).

Settings in Ubuntu. To tell the truth I don't know to much about them as I haven't had the need for any changes after my first install. All worked just great after install. But just in case there is the need, there is a control-panel with easy settings (in fact more easy than in Windows if you ask me).

Doing magic commands in the command prompt then? This seems to be a myth coming from the old days. There is no need for that as these days everything is graphical as it is in Windows. In some really rare cases (as in Windows) you might have to give some command in the terminal. Well.. That's done as easy as in Windows.

Updates of both the OS and the installed programs comes nice and easy as it does in Widows, by auto-magic if you allow that.

I could go on for a bit, but to make it short. I haven't had any reason to do anything more complicated than I did in Windows to the things going. Is there anything that I miss from Windows. No. I have same programs or equivalent in Ubuntu as I had in Windows.

I don't like to spend hours fixing with the OS or programs to get them going either, and I haven't. Coming to Leadwerks in Linux then. It works fine although there are some minor things that needs to be fixed (as the missing drag and drop of files into the editor). But those are minor things that can be worked around very easy. No big deal.

All and all I can say that I haven't regretted my switch to Linux and have no intention what so ever of turning back to Windows. Does this mean that Linux is better that Windows. I my view its not better or worse, its just another OS with one big nice feature, its Free, has always been and will always be.

Just wanted to write this as many (most ?) seems to think that you need to be some computer geek to run Linux. You don't.

Now this was about Windows 10. I think its a good thing if MS could quickly remove all the old versions and get everything under one roof (I think this was the intentions with 10 ). For gamers there is the new DirectX 12 which will make things run faster. Besides that and some cosmetics its (as I have understood it) more or less nothing more than a big servicepack of Windows 8, so I would not worry to much installing it.

I really love Linux, but I'm also a gamer and Visual studio is the only IDE for me.
  • Upvote 2

Ignore my silly nick

Welp, tomorrow is the day. Looks like my PC is downloading it right now, actually. I'm most likely gonna wait until I see articles about the upgrade process. I strongly believe it's gonna wipe any programs installed on the main drive like a refresh does. Let's see what happens!

I started to use Linux in 2013 as a secondary PC, and I really like it. I tried both Mint and Ubuntu, and I can see myself using it as a primary PC someday. I just wish that some programs on Linux did not feel like the inferior version compared to their Windows/Mac versions; mainly, Leadwerks editor and Trillian.

Oh, and I agree, Visual Studio is the best IDE (IMO). There was another IDE besides CodeBlocks you can use on Linux that a friend told me about.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

Trillian? Oh dear... your answer to that problem is Pidgin, on Linux as well as Windows. https://pidgin.im/

And about the Leadwerks editor: There's no denying that the Linux version is inferior in many ways but that's a home grown problem.

I'm quite indifferent about IDEs and don't understand how some programmers are so married to theirs. I think it's Visual Studio for so many not based on merits but because that's what they started with. Though my experience with VS is limited I always felt it was bloated

and sluggish whenever I tried it.

Your friend might have told you about QtCreator, which seems to be the hot stuff for VS devs that try to find something similar on Linux,

especially because it wraps GDB in a way that doesn't make them cry.

It's also available on Windows and OS X: https://www.qt.io/download-open-source/

• Upvote 1

Holy fscking wow:

Also, when device encryption is on, Windows automatically encrypts the drive Windows is installed on and generates a recovery key. The BitLocker recovery key for the user’s device is automatically backed up online in the Microsoft OneDrive account.
from https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

You know how the people in charge in the US want to drum up that narrative where they totally absolutely need to have "legal" access to people's encryption keys. Microsoft is happy to oblige without even the need for a questionable legal framework that would require this to exist.

Vista was technically bad but got fixed eventually via patches and service packs. This is by design and will never ever be "fixed", this is what MS wants with Windows as a service.

How this flies in a post Snowden world is beyond me.

EDIT: Golly gee, this just keeps getting better and better:

Trillian? Oh dear... your answer to that problem is Pidgin, on Linux as well as Windows. https://pidgin.im/

And about the Leadwerks editor: There's no denying that the Linux version is inferior in many ways but that's a home grown problem.

I'm quite indifferent about IDEs and don't understand how some programmers are so married to theirs. I think it's Visual Studio for so many not based on merits but because that's what they started with. Though my experience with VS is limited I always felt it was bloated

and sluggish whenever I tried it.

Your friend might have told you about QtCreator, which seems to be the hot stuff for VS devs that try to find something similar on Linux,

especially because it wraps GDB in a way that doesn't make them cry.

It's also available on Windows and OS X: https://www.qt.io/download-open-source/

My buddies and I used to use MSN/WLM for a while until Microsoft cut the plug on it. We now use Trillian's chatting services (Astro or whatever) and I personally have no issues with it. I also like that it's for any popular OS, so I can use it even if I someday get a Mac for some reason. It's Mobile apps, eh, different story. And about the Leadwerks Editor being inferior, I'm sure Josh is doing all he can to get it to be equal to it's Windows version, but it's mostly the graphic drivers, and some gui stuff that really make it suffer. I also hate that I can't press the delete button to delete an object.

No, that's not the IDE that my friend showed me, but nice to know though.

I'm sure Microsoft is getting a fat paycheck from Uncle Sam/NSA for providing user information "legally". And the whole Cortana thing, gathering and saving how the user uses it is how those things work. All forms of "Personal Assistants" do this. I don't plan on ever using Cortana or encrypting any drives anyway.

Yeah, their delivery system is non-sense. I get why they are doing it, but some people (*cough* Me) does not have the bandwidth to even share with someone in my own house, let alone tens of thousands of PC's getting updates. Turning this off asap.

Speaking of updates, my Ethernet usage is still going nuts, and 3GB should have downloaded by now. Ether way, I was not gonna upgrade day one anyway, and reading stuff like this is interesting.

I really really don't like that they force driver installs through Windows update...those should always be from the manufacturer directly ..not through Windows update...but a lot of people are too stupid to do it themselves so Microshaft has to do it for them...