Roland

Suggestion for a fast Linux PC

I'll bet anything new will do ( you didn't say your budget ;) ), but I would avoid, AMD gfx (seems to be problematic from time to time) and intel integrated cards since they are a bit slow.

I'm upgrading my PC later this year. Just adding new parts rather than a completely new setup.

Good luck.

I have been doing this for the last 5 years. Gave it more memory one year, updated the PSU the other (cause the one in it died), and an SSD, new GPU, and new heatsink this year. If you take care of something, it will take care of you.

First, look at motherboards. You'll need to know what socket of CPU you'll need. Anything on the market today is better than what you or I have, but make sure you get the most bang for your buck, and has features you'll want.

Should look on some linux forums to read people suggestions and opinions when it comes to processors with linux. I tried both an Intel and an AMD CPU with Ubuntu and had zero problems with both. For games, shoot for a quad core processor with 4GB or higher of RAM. Also, a GPU from Nvidia since they don't break their OpenGL drivers as much, also more features like DSR (If the linux drivers support that.)

For a power supply, you'll want one that will output a true wattage. Some PSUs, will list themselves as a 500 watt power supply, but only output 350 or so. I recommend one from XFX as they guaranty a true wattage. What I usually do is check to see how much the GPU needs (for example: 450watts) and then search for a power supply at least 100 more watts over that. You don't want too much power as it can make it burn out, or start a fire. One time I put a 750watt PSU in my PC that I have now, just with a Radeon 5770, and 4 GB of RAM; and the damn thing cooked a week later. But looking back, I can't recall if it was outputting a true wattage or not. Moral of the story, just look for a true wattage and check what your parts require. Bonus Tip: If you can do a modular, go for it. It will make it so you don't have unused connectors everywhere.

Great advice from above. Just adding on to some of what I've earned.

Generally, Intel tends to perform closer to the given clock speed than AMD, so AMD tries to make up for this by adding more cores. Anyway, Intel for gaming is better because of this. AMD is great if you do a lot of video or even photo work though because of the multi threading across multiple cores.

Despite that blog post, do not use CoolMaster for power supplies. They are cheap, but they are poor quality. Corsair is the best quality, and brands matter a lot for this component. I learned somewhere that power supply failures can destroy other parts of your computer, so this is something you don't want to be cheap on. I'm pretty sure the GPU and the CPU are really the only two large wattage components (maybe the hard drives as well). There are calculators online to help though. Also, I don't think that a larger power supply is bad necessarily: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2228533/power-supply-bad.html

An SSD/hard drive combo is a good investment. I'm not sure if it will have as much of an impact on Linux machines, but installing the OS on the SSD means faster boot times as well as performance. I would recommend a 128 GB SSD, and at least a 1 TB 7200 RPM hard drive. SSDs do wear down over time (although they don't have mechanical failures like hard drives do), so I would imagine trying to exactly fit everything in one is bad. Also, pick decent brands for the hard drive. I can't remember, but there are a few top brands for this as well.

My current Linux build ... you being Swede and all:

Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 Motherboard - https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010786253/ga-z97-hd3

Intel Core i5 4690K / 3.5 GHz processor - https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010791975/core-i5-4690k-35-ghz-processor

16 Gb ram - Corsair XMS3 - https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010639170/xms3

I had a Asus Nvidia GTX 580 already so I used that as GFX card. I can also recommend this PC case if you want something that is easy to work with, is good ventilated and silent https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010810959/define-r5 and this silent PSU https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010752536/rm750. I got this to cool the CPU https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010763755/cooling-freezer-i11

It works well with Leadwerks, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and the Nvidia proprietary driver.

To reask my questions from the shout box, Roland:

'm going to take a more thorough look at that later. 1200USD is exactly the price point between two tiers in my opinion.

What should I favor? A faster CPU for better compile times or a better GPU for gaming performance?

Do you even need a classic HDD besides a solid state drive or do you take the one from your old machine?

Is it also an option for you to dump everything into a build without a dedicated GPU and use the old one until you can afford to upgrade to a really powerful one?

Well the 1200 USD is just a estimation which can be overridden in there is a need for it. 1200USD ~ 10.000SEK.

My compile times are no problem. The gaming performance is.

I will have my OS on the SSD and then an extra HDD for everything else.

By they way. Thanks DeRidda and you all others.

You are most kind

:)

I would take this build as a reference: http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/LyWG3C/i5-4690k-gtx-980-overclocked-gaming-pc

It's a good bit more expensive but there are several things which you might want to reduce.

1st: Swapping the CPU out for the none K model, only get a K CPU if you are going to overclock it, if you don't there's absolutely no reason to get it.

2nd: If you are going none K, drop the water cooling. The reference coolers work just fine and if it doesn't a mid tier after market air cooler for less than half the price will do just fine.

3rd: You could absolutely swap that fancy RAM for regular and simple looking brand RAM and save a few bucks without losing quality, the brand is the important thing here.

4th: Obviously storage is quite a flexible thing. Maybe go for half the capacity on the SSD and 1 or 2 TB on the HDD? It just depends on what you need but absolutely do not remove the SSD entirely, they are awesome to have and after getting one, I never want an HDD as a system drive ever again.

5th: The GTX 980 is in an awkward sport right now where an overclocked GTX 970 is almost en par with it and the GTX 980 Ti beats it hands down. Still a good card, just not the biggest bang for the buck.

6th: A case really is a matter of preference, you really don't need an awesome modular case when all you want is shove your hardware in and be done with it, there are good enough cases for around half the price.

7th: That's supposed to be a really good PSU so I'd recommend sticking with it.

Thanks for that DerRidda. In fact I can extend my planned budget to that. Have never ordered hardware from Amazon before but I guess that will work as good as anything else. Sweden is not on another planet so I guess it will be OK. I'll be waiting for their drone wink.png.Think its worth replacing the i5 to a i7 maybe and 980Ti instead of a bare 980.

If wife just wont see the bill it may work biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Again. Thanks all for your suggestions. It ended up in this (which I now is waiting for )

• Graphics: ASUS STRIX GTX 980 4GB DirectCU II OC
  • Memory: Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) CL9 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport
  • Cabinet: Fractal Design Define R5, Black
  • MotherBoard:MSI Z97-S02 INET EDITION ATX
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz, 8MB
  • DVD: Samsung DVD±RW 24X DL Black
  • SSD: Samsung SSD EVO 850-Series 250GB
  • HDD: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm 64MB
  • Power: be quiet! KRAFT 700W

Yes. It really did. I sold my three dogs and the wife ....

Ok. I didn't. But I got the magical words every husband want to hear from his wife. "Yeah.. if you think its that important"

It ended up 1720$