..Linux variant recommendation..

Naughty Alien

..hi guys..i have decided to slowly switch to Linux..im looking for choice between Ubuntu and Mint..3D Development is Java based, and ill be using Open Office for my documentation and what not (Im not sure is it working on Linux?), so i would like to know, which one would you prefer and why (im looking for tech reasons)..

Here's my take on this:

Go for straight unaltered Ubuntu, I recommend 14.04 LTS for people new to the platform.

Yes, it does look different than what Windows users are used to but that is a GOOD thing in my opinion, as

it tells your brain that you are outside of what you are familiar with.

Windows power-users often try to apply their very specific problem solving skills that did develop through trial and error and then act surprised when all the get is error.

Having an interface that tells you "You are not in Kansas anymore, little Dorothy." helps with that.

As for tech reasons: Mint's updater is poor compared to Ubuntu's and upgrading between releases is a pain on Mint while it's a breeze on Ubuntu. (Seriously, you can use your computer through the entire release upgrade process and after one single reboot it's done)

And while Mint is technically just a spin on Ubuntu and they use the exact same base, Ubuntu and its Unity GUI are best supported by some not so well rounded software, like Leadwerks for example.

You should be fine with Java, one thing to note is that basically all Linux distributions only supply OpenJDK these days as Oracle has revoked the distribution licenses for no good reason. But that shouldn't be a problem as OpenJDK has become the reference implementation for Java anyway since 1.7 with OpenJDK7. If you truly need Oracle Java you can just download it from Oracle still.

OpenOffice? Why did so few people outside the open source-verse notice the fork over to LibreOffice? LibreOffice is basically OpenOffice under new and improved management and comes pre-installed on Ubuntu, 0 compatibility issues between the two.

Since you appear to be German https://ubuntuusers.de/ is a your super-bestest friend now, their wiki blows every other Linux wiki out of the water, including English ones except maybe the Arch Linux wiki.

https://alternativeto.net is also awesome as you can search for alternative software there in case something you want isn't supported on Linux.

Use that wiki and get cracking! http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

EDIT: Bad Josh, no banana! SteamOS is not a desktop operating system, never was meant to be, probably never will be.

• Upvote 2

I know but that's mostly targeted at devs and beta testers, doesn't change the fact that it is not meant to be a desktop distro.

Here it is straight from the horse's mouth:

Users should not consider SteamOS as a replacement for their desktop operating system. SteamOS is being designed and optimized for the living room experience.

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/

• Upvote 2

The desktop mode in steam o/s is more suited for maintenance or transferring things to your system, etc. Last time I played around with it, all of the system's audio was dedicated to the steam big picture mode side of things. And the big picture mode was either a separate user or on a separate visual desktop... something like that. I couldn't use teamspeak, as I couldn't access the audio. I don't think audio worked in other applications as well, on the 'desktop' side of that particular o/s - if I can remember correctly.

For game development, I'd go with Ubuntu simply because it offers support to its large user base and as a result many development tool authors strive to maintain compatibility with it.

For playing games and other usage - maybe some portions of game development - I prefer Arch. It's simpler and faster. Sometimes you have to do a bit more work in setting things up, but I like it.

I used Ubuntu for quite a while when I was first introduced to Linux.

• Upvote 1

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

..hi guys..i have decided to slowly switch to Linux..im looking for choice between Ubuntu and Mint..3D Development is Java based, and ill be using Open Office for my documentation and what not (Im not sure is it working on Linux?), so i would like to know, which one would you prefer and why (im looking for tech reasons)..

I suggest you swap Open office for Libre office it's much much better and it's in the repository along with Open office. Go with ubuntu and add the desktop you like if unity is not your cup of tea.