HTML Rendering

martyj

User interfaces are very difficult in Lua. Even with libraries like FlowGUI.

I think Leadwerks should embed something like WebKit into the framework. This would allow easy UI creation in html. It could have some LUA bindings for onclick on elements, changing html in an element.

I recommend something like this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wke/

Having a clean UI can really help make or break a game, and at the moment Leadwerks doesn't provide much in the UI department.

I entertained this idea briefly, but I think it's just activity without progress. It's not like making a convoluted HTML layer is going to make the UI easier to design, you still have to do the work of designing the UI. I think programmers have trouble with this because it is more a matter of artwork and design decisions, rather than code.

(The latest build actually does support this but it only works when the Steamworks SDK is enabled. I needed it for HTML elements in the Linux build of the editor. So it's not an official feature.)

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

the big pros about HTML in a game would be that everyone who knows HTML can create it, which are many more than any other GUI library.

And you can see how the GUI looks in every webbrowser without needing a build of the game and running the game every time.

So debugging is a lot easier.

I don't think you're going to come across a ton of game-ready user interfaces that you can just plug into a renderer. If you look around the web, the HTML5 GUIs out there are about as bad as the Lua ones.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.