LE3.x embedded with BMax

Naughty Alien

..this is mostly for Josh to answer, but as always, opinions from anyone is more than welcome..basically, BMax went open source (whoooo), and that opens beautiful option to have LE3.x directly embedded in to really fantastic language/compiler which is cross platform (Win/OSX/Linux)..so, im wondering, how real is to expect new variant of Bmax with fully integrated LE3.x in to its syntax/core ? Having such thing with already existing BLIDE is something i was always thinking about..so, Josh, what chances are for that ??

• Upvote 1

Together with the new IDE features we have and Workshop integration, it could be really nice. 

What could be very nice? I'm having a hard time translating what NA is talking about. Is this basically just having LE available in BMax again?

..it means that you have programming IDE already in the place, tailored for LE where LE itself is embedded in to BMax compiler itself, it become part of it, as a very elegant language, yet powerful..simply install, and code..and its for all desktop platforms, where your code is truly, write once and deploy everywhere (desktop wise)..WAV,OGG,MP3, and all sort of fantastic media/library exists for BMax , from database, to sound processing, image processing and so on, will be at disposal and ready to use with LE....it also means that you have got out of box, super powerful 2D engine (many people asking how to develop 2D games with LE..well..here it is), native gui system (Max gui) and tons of 3rd party gui's for 2d and 3D available....ill buy it in a heartbeat..

Seems a bit late in the game to make such a large fundamental change to Leadwerks. The IDE/Lua isn't the greatest thing in the world but it is far from unusable. Maybe this could be a separate product? Still, given the limited resources of Leadwerks Software I think that the time would be better invested in improving the existing IDE or adding new features to the engine.

• Upvote 1

Seems a bit late in the game to make such a large fundamental change to Leadwerks.

This is never too late, it could be a long term replacement for Lua, as Lua is lot more prone to errors and lacks many great things Bmax has like OO and Classes, plus a better integrated IDE (and some advanced IDE you can buy for 20 bucks).

Stop toying and make games

I believe if LUA is replaced with Bmax many newcomers will choose something else. Bmax is relatively unknown and it is easier to find tutorials for Cpp and LUA. And I also agree with the hankinator. We only have Josh, and unless this is delegated to another developer (which would require a good demand from the customers) I rather see editor improvements, bug fixes and stuff like that. This is usually how good projects are ruined - when developers run after every new/cool thing and then loose their focus.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

it means that you have programming IDE already in the place, tailored for LE where LE itself is embedded in to BMax compiler itself, it become part of it, as a very elegant language

I don't really understand this idea. Something like LE is not a language it's a library. What difference does it matter if the LE API is built into BMax or if it's just an external library that can be used with BMax? You'd still get the same benefits you talk about would you not?

I guess I wouldn't view this any different than exposing LE's API to .NET. You include the LE.dll to your .NET app and now you get to use all .NET has to offer, DB access, sounds, 2D, etc, but no need to have LE built into the .NET framework to get that.

• Upvote 2