Basic FPS Script

Rick

I feel like for some of the basic examples there should be a really basic FPS script for them. I get reusing the 1 script for convenience but since these things are for examples and tutorial type stuff it would be beneficial, I think, to have basic movement and use functionality without all the clutter for people. Just an idea so that newbies don't get overwhelmed with everything that's in that script when looking at those example grid maps.

I bring this up because when I do training I use that script, but it's so busy that to point out some of the basic stuff I have to weed through much of it and tell people to not worry about some of that stuff right now. I can make my own script of course, but was just thinking since most of those example maps don't need 90% of the functionality in that script, it might be nice to have a more basic FPS script as well be part of LE.

• Upvote 3

Yes agree - this was something Aggror and I discussed over a year ago. The default FPS script is nice for those who don't want to code but yet it has some rudimentary features. But for a person who is trying to learn the basics, that script would be a little daunting. I personally liked the way Josh had done the tutorials in LE2 as nice basic packages. There was a tutorial on just camera movement that broke down the code down in nice easy chunks.

• Upvote 2

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

I was gonna write one for my LEX template, but I did not know how basic I should have made it. Should it just be a simple player that can just walk around, jump, and crouch, or have life, and weapon support too?

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

I think having it part of LE is key with this, but when you consider what the tutorials that have the grid textures on them need, it's really just walk around, jump, maybe crouch, and 'e' key for Use. Adding life and weapons starts to make it more complicated than it needs to be and those tutorials don't take advantage of those 2 features anyway so no sense in having them for those maps. A nice progression would be good though with those tutorials. Building on the script as the tutorial permits/requires.

• Upvote 2