ETA for VS2015 (v140 compilation) support?

Ywa

I'm aware that Josh wasn't very excited to support v140 compilation in VS2015. But seeing the community version of VS2015 is free of charge and that VS2013 always screws up its paths on my various PCs: Is there any ETA for v140 compilation support? Are there any downsides?

If backwards compat is the issue. Is it possible to make v140 the default or at least an option for new projects?

• 2 months later...

I'm pretty sure you are, but you're using _MSC_VER checks, right? This was how we got Source to compile with 2013 being that it was ment to be compiled with 2010. It should help deal with C++14 conflicts if that's the issue.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

• 5 months later...

VS2015 has a lot of backwards compatibility issues that make this harder than I first thought.

I want to add my work for VS2015. I think it is great idea to support this version since it almost fully supports C++11.

Which makes easier to develop games cross platform. Since GCC supports C++11 several years.

Will it work on VS Community Edition 2015? I believe at this VS CE (2015) is now pretty much full VS more or less and as it's free is a good selling point for LW I believe. I know some others engines have mentioned VS CE support.

Yes. There is always a free version of VS, and Leadwerks always supports it.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I've used both, and I honestly don't really prefer one over another too much, but gcc imo is easier to use. Porting code might be an issue if a developer tries to support both Linux and Windows. But from a quick search:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31529327/c-is-it-worth-using-gcc-over-msvc-on-windows

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21134279/difference-in-performance-between-msvc-and-gcc-for-highly-optimized-matrix-multp

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8029092/gcc-worth-using-on-windows-to-replace-msvc

What use does GCC on Windows serve? I seriously want to know what you think.

I'm sure other people have other reasons to use mingw over MSVC but for me, in my experience, mingw provides the path of least resistance to build open source libraries on Windows. For a given library there is a better chance that the library will provide a makefile(or some other mechanism to build) for gcc than a MSVC project file. cmake has really improved the situation but isn't always available. Like nick.ace, I use both, I think they are both great (nothing touches the MSVC IDE). I can see why you wouldn't bother with mingw and I don't disagree but there is something to be said for tool consistency between platforms.

Speaking about compilers I have came across about several examples how to start new C++ project with LE (but have not tried it myself yet). And the thing is that LE provides ready made project (VS or CodeBlocks). But the point is I guess all logic is still in Leadwerks lib and dll files. So there is no difference actually which compiler developer will use (I might be wrong, correct me if I am). Then it is good Idea to think about CMake project which can be configured under any platform and for all popular compilers. It this case you will have to provide only Cmake project directory. And you will not have to generate all this directories in Project directory like Linux, Windows, MacOS, etc.

Speaking about compilers I have came across about several examples how to start new C++ project with LE (but have not tried it myself yet). And the thing is that LE provides ready made project (VS or CodeBlocks). But the point is I guess all logic is still in Leadwerks lib and dll files. So there is no difference actually which compiler developer will use (I might be wrong, correct me if I am). Then it is good Idea to think about CMake project which can be configured under any platform and for all popular compilers. It this case you will have to provide only Cmake project directory. And you will not have to generate all this directories in Project directory like Linux, Windows, MacOS, etc.

To provide a cmake project Josh would have to provide the Leadwerks source code, I don't think he wants to do that.

To provide a cmake project Josh would have to provide the Leadwerks source code, I don't think he wants to do that.

Alright. At least set of libs and cmake for supported compilers. It is much simpler then strict developer with particular version of compiler.

For instance Linux. Everything is compiled by gcc (even in CodeBlocks). Why should I learn how to use CodeBlocks if I use Eclipse or Qt for develop?

Why? CMake just sets up projects, it doesn't compile anything. Just link the Leadwerks dll's and you should be all set.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17225121/how-to-use-external-dlls-in-cmake-project

What I meant by that was providing a cmake file to build the Leadwerks static library to allow development with different compilers on Windows would require the source (doubt that'll happen).

Anyone could make a cmake file for building a Leadwerks application but on Windows it's gotta use the MSVC compiler.

Btw. Specific set of libraries for spescific compilers Like for vc10, cv12, vc14, gcc etc. Can be provided by DLC. In this case team which uses LE knows which compilers it will use. So they can download only required dlls and stuff.

Because it never hurts to learn other things smile.png

Yes. But there would not be room for real work if you will all the time learn something.