Why OpenGL?

VeTaL

I actually really like the Kismet approach, and I can see how it would easily integrate with our Lua implementation. It would be stupid if the behaviors were all hard-coded into the engine, but you can define behaviors in Lua, give the editor a list of available inputs and outputs, and then a designer can just link together predefined objects to make them interact.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

i guess some of us dont consider having to program something we want as a "hack"... unlike people who think if its not a LE command then it must be a hack to get something done... or an LE bug when a command doesn't do exactly what they want, but rather it does exactly the way it is described to do...

I'll remember that the next time I see a feature request from you. I've read the old forums and still do searches on there and I see plenty of posts where you do just that. So I can only assume you aren't included in that 'us'. Everyone does this. There are bugs and missing features all over the place. Does the picking diameter work yet? If not people have to hack around it if they want a larger diameter by maybe making multiple picks in different locations bunched together. You wouldn't call that a hack/work around to a feature that isn't working? I sure would. Don't try to put yourself up on a pedestal by saying you've never had to hack around a bug or missing feature to get something to work. It's just not realistic.

really? you want to go that route? how many links to hundreds of posts do I need to put here from you starting the post complaining that something is a bug until someone or yourself points out that you were doing something wrong? And whatever you might think, I do not even consider myself a programmer much less hold myself ontop of some pedestal to think I am above asking for a LE feature or asking for help. But whatever...

but nevertheless, I was just pointing out that just because its not an LE command doesn't mean I would call it a hack if it works.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

I'll remember that the next time I see a feature request from you. I've read the old forums and still do searches on there and I see plenty of posts where you do just that.

how many links to hundreds of posts do I need to put here from you starting the post complaining that something is a bug until someone or yourself points out that you were doing something wrong?

Hey, we all are people and we all make mistakes. Looking like this thread calls "Why OpenGL", not a... "Let me show, how stupid you are" another name.

Working on LeaFAQ :)

really? you want to go that route? how many links to hundreds of posts do I need to put here from you starting the post complaining that something is a bug until someone or yourself points out that you were doing something wrong?

In my defense, I live by the idea that there are no dumb questions and for those posts don't apologize. If anything, saying it's a bug is a way to surely get quick responses from people who want to prove you wrong ;) I welcome that because if it's not a bug it means I don't have to make a work around for it then.

Hey, we all are people and we all make mistakes

I love making mistakes. That's a great way to learn! :rolleyes:

The fun part is speculating about who's game it is.

I'm pretty sure everyone thinks it's Naught Alien, and it kind of sounds like he's hitting the PS3.

..well..i will not comment is it me or not, since i know few more fellas here, who's silently working on their stuff, but as for me, game im working on right now, is going to be on PC with LE for sure, and after that PS3 (usually goes opposite, but this is first title of crew of mine, so its reasonable way to go)..whatever case may be, any game fired out will help a lot to community and Josh (financially/advertising wise), and i do encouraging everyone to do and finish games since it will be actual and real boost for entire LE society here..as for me, Ill do my best in both Game presentation and some things after game is out, but that last part is between me and Josh..

Well... if i were moderator, i'd cut out of this topic some interesting moments, that can help newbies and experienced programmers (for example, second Lumooja's post about optimisation or arguments "why OpenGL", because, i think, this question would rise again).

Working on LeaFAQ :)

Even Blitz3D which uses DX7, doesn't work on Windows 7 64-bit anymore, with OpenGL it would still work.

That's simply not true. BB3D runs very well on a Windows 7 64 Bit system.

Regarding the other stuff: It doesn't matter. I made the experience that DirectX runs slightly faster than OpenGL but this is more a driver issue as most gamers use Windows and most games use DirectX.

OpenGL is unbeatable if it comes to cross platform development.

Triassic Games

That's simply not true. BB3D runs very well on a Windows 7 64 Bit system.
It seems the problems I originally heard of are now solved. One problem was that Windows Journal conflicted somehow with Wacom which caused Blitz3D IDE also to crash. Another problem was that the GetRight download manager downloaded the Blitz3D updates corrupted, and Windows 7 thought it was a 16-bit app.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■