CharacterPhysics, change size of the controller

Pastaspace

I understand that when using CharacterPhysics for an object, the physics shape will always been a cylinder. The question is, can I tweak any other aspect of it, such as its size? I've got small enemies and large enemies, and there are places that the small enemies can go that the big enemies (whose collision is the same size), shouldn't be able to go.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not editable because of the navmesh. The navmesh generation actually uses the character controller dimensions to compute. It would be nice though to have the option to change it and maybe make multiple navmeshes or at least have control over what dimensions are used for advanced users.

Right, but can't we at least do things like say, change the character controller height? I can't see how the height of the cylinder at least would affect navmesh computation, and being stuck with a specific height also makes it extremely hard to do things like say, crawl through air ducts.

Yeah you can put it in crouch mode as a cassius said. But that's about it.

Let's say you have a door frame in a game. The character controller might be around 6 feet. If you have a monster that was 12 feet tall, then how do you compute the navmesh? Do you choose the largest controller? What if you want the player to be able to hide or go through smaller areas? That's the problem with this. You could make the argument though that the navmesh be generated like it is now and then have the developer deal with it.

Hitboxes are unrelated. You would literally just make a bigger hitbox. I don't think I follow.

If you are talking about the physics shape of the character controller, there are a few things you could do. One is to attach a physics shape to the controller, but this might get glitchy. Also, if it is larger than before, then the character won't be able to use pathfinding easily. You could make your own pathfinding solution, but that can be challenging if you are new to programming.