Footprint Effect (With Decals?)

SlipperyBrick

Hi Guys,

So I have come up with a specific idea in my mind for an event that is going to happen in my game but I need to know a few things before I attempt to try and create it.

Basically I want footprints to start walking across my floor in my map (wet footprints to be specific) but I want this to be revealed in front of the player as if there is an invisible person walking in realtime and all they can see is the footprints of the water on the floor.

I was wondering at first how to achieve this then I thought the decal system in Leadwerks may just make this work.

My questions are:

• Is there a way to reveal decals in real time (some sort of way to mask them and then move that mask, just a thought).
  • If decals isn't the answer, what tools in Leadwerks would be able to achieve something like this?

My first thought would be to get a character and put an invisible material on that character and use decals for the footprints and somehow reveal them that way. Right now all I have is idea's but nothing seems to make me think that it would work haha.

Thanks.

You can use Hide() and Show() on decals like other enitites.

Maybe have a few decals that show for a few a few seconds then Hide while you place it further along a path taking tuns between left and right foot etc.

Or have the decals already laid out on the path and show and hide along the path at a certain speed.

• Upvote 1

Elite Cobra Squad

@Josk. That 2nd option seems the most appropriate.

I'm just looking for an effect which will sell the illusion of someone walking in front of the player leaving the footprints behind so having the decals already laid out and then showing them at a certain speed would work perfectly, I guess very similar to revealing using a mask.

I'll defo check into this more as I wouldn't be 100% sure on how to code the speed part of the idea.

Plus I want the actual event to happen only when the camera looks at it. So the event can trigger when the player collides with a trigger box, then as a last check to start the event I want to check the camera is looking in the correct place.

I hope that is all doable haha.

Might be worth you having a look at the camera dolly script. You might even want to achieve your effect by switching to a cam to highlight the action (though it sounds like you probalby want to remain with the character....

....anyway the important thing is that the camera dolly script can move a camera along a spline through way points where an event can be fired (using a flowgraph connection), potentially revealing your decal. Though you might not want a camera, perhaps the script can be modified without too much trouble to move your own 'revealing object' along a spline and triggering the reveals of the footsteps as it hits each waypoint....you could even have a spline for left footprints and one for right footprints, if it works out easier.

The Camera Dolly script is in the workshop that you can get to from within Leadwerks.

Just a thought.

• Upvote 1