cocopino

Combining textures

There's a new scale feature in the Editor when painting terrain: "fit to terrain".

This will scale the entire texture to the terrain, but I wouldn't know an easy way to create such a texture. Wouldn't it be nice to have an option "combine current textures" in the Editor? Pressing that button should create a large (4096x4096 ?) image combining all currently used textures. This option would effectively create the functionality to have unlimited textures because you can re-paint your "megatexture" over and over again. Large terrains may not look very good using this technique but I think 512x512 terrains should look pretty decent.

Thanks for the link, my idea is much simpler though. I shouldn't have used the word megatexture. It doesn't involve any kind of streaming but should just combine existing layers into one. It will make parts of the terrain look a bit less detailed, but you will gain unlimited textures and still have 4 texture layers left that can be as detailed as they are now.

I've used this concept to a smaller degree using the facility in Texture Maker to do just this, produce composite textures from many smaller ones against a heightmap or other configrable criteria and then use the resultant texture on a Leadwerks layer. It would be even nicer to do this directly from Leadwerks Editor if the extension of layers is still a way off.