Get surface of a BrushClass entity

thehankinator

I wrote a script that will convert a prefab(containing just CSG) to a obj/mtl file. Below is the relevant code. RecordInfo reports that the class is BrushClass. If I run the script in a separate directory (paths to shaders and textures broken) the entities are ModelClass, which has surfaces and the obj/mtl are exported as expected. But that's neither here nor there.

world=World:Create()
Prefab:Load(prefabfile)
local aabb = AABB(-99999999,-99999999,-99999999,99999999,99999999,99999999)
world:ForEachEntityInAABBDo(aabb, "RecordInfo")

At runtime, a csg/brush is converted to the Model Class - assuming it doesn't have a script or mass. You can then get the surface easily. Out of curiosity, does the inherent export for the CSG not work for your needs or is there another aspect that requires you to make your own export?

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

I'm looking in the header file for Brush in C++ and there is a function called FindSurface(). You pass a material and it returns a surface with that material in the brush. Try that.

Unfortunately that function isn't visible in Lua, I should have mentioned that in OP.

At runtime, a csg/brush is converted to the Model Class - assuming it doesn't have a script or mass. You can then get the surface easily. Out of curiosity, does the inherent export for the CSG not work for your needs or is there another aspect that requires you to make your own export?

There is already an export for CSG? How!

Unfortunately that function isn't visible in Lua, I should have mentioned that in OP.

yep, in lua the only FindSurface() available was for Model:FindSurface() - which you may be able to use after the csg/brush is auto converted.

There is already an export for CSG? How!

Its been available for quite sometime to export to OBJ.

post-14-0-61881200-1456626945.jpg

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

• 1 year later...

I still have the question about getting the surface of a csg..!

> "After runtime", do you mean after start() ?

> if the csg cannot have an added script, how do you want to get the surface ???

thx

Edit I checked this too

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/14455-getting-brushes-surface/page__hl__surface