CSG Extrusion

SlipperyBrick

This has probably been mentioned before as a suggestion.

The ability to extrude CSG I think would add speed and efficiency to the level design phase of a game in the editor.

Also further improvements down the line could allow for other actions on CSG like a simple bevel.

Adding the ability to extrude could be done through the face selection tool when using CSG, you could select a face and then have the button to extrude be available in the properties panel where the smoothing groups would be.

I think this would be the start of adding to the level design tools currently available in the editor and making them even more efficient.

This would strictly be for simple modelling for level design nothing that would replace a normal modelling package.

Check out ProBuilder for Unity to get an idea of this I think tools on par with ProBuilder inside Leadwerks would make it the best level editor around.

• Upvote 3

I bought 3D World Studio quite a while ago it is a brilliant tool!

I love the fact that you can model and layout simple level design and export it out to continue working on it, also a great feature that's currently in Leadwerks too haha!

I didn't know it had extrude functionality though, I'll have to check that out. I'm with you on hoping though haha would be pretty sweet to be able to extrude CSG, we can already carve out stuff which is great!

• 2 months later...

I used hammer for a long time, and using CSG was really bad because it caused leaks and error. Fortunately, I did not have any problem in leadwerks.

The only thing I'm missing is a way to move vertices. In Hammer, I did not use CSG but moved vertices from brushes and used primitives as references for the shape I wanted.

If you look there this level details were modeled all with brushes and NO CSG, just brushes modified with the vertex tool:

(All of the corridor interior in this parody of SG-1). The stargate is also done with brushes. smile.png This is old stuff I made in 2009 using Hammer in a Half Life mod.