C++ Tutorial for Leadwerks 4

ivanodintsoff

Hi,

First of all, I already did a search for what I'm going to ask on the forums/Google and had no luck.

So, I have the Professional Edition of Leadwerks and want to start using C++ for my games, but looks like every version of Leadwerks the code and the place for the cpp files changes. Now, looks like it doesn't include the project files for VS2013. When I create a new project I have 2 cpp and a header file on a "Source" folder under the project folder.

I just want a starting point for working with these files, how is the lifecycle, what libraries to use, etc. But every tutorial that I see is different from what I actually have.

I want to make some features like split-screen multiplayer, dynamic map generation and UI. Is that possible with just Lua?

Thanks for any help to get started

- Ivan

Yes, C++ hasn't been given much love these days it seems, but to answer your question, yes you can do what you want in Lua except, the multiplayer part. You'll need to get into C++ for that. at this time. If you find a Lua networking library you may be able to load that from Lua. I generally just use C++.

I want to make some features like split-screen multiplayer, dynamic map generation and UI. Is that possible with just Lua?

Split-screen local multiplayer can be done with lua using the render target option on two (or more) cameras. There is also Buffer class but for some reason it's never been documented so I never bothered with it. But as Rick said you would need a library or c++ to do remote multiplayer.

Dynamic map generation can be done with lua, typically you start with with a few generic pieces, load them and place them based on whatever algorithm you like. I think someone added something to the workshop about procedural map generation, never tried it, dunno how far they got. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=634318904

UI is easily done in lua, I built this a while back, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=653673604

The c++ tutorials by aggror still work with le 4 if you can find them.Otherwise you can start with app.cpp in the source folder and take a look at the c++ api examples.

I have aggrors tutorials in a zip file but can't remember where I got them.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Does not seem to be available. Aggrors actual code is more usefull than the videos minus the code

I think it would be good to have at least a first person example in c++ and it could probably be written in less than one hour.

c++ userers may be in the minority but should not be ignored.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated!

Aggrors videos looks unavailable. Roland video is working, I'm gonna watch them, thanks! Funny that I did a search in YouTube but didn't find those.

Split-screen local multiplayer can be done with lua using the render target option on two (or more) cameras. There is also Buffer class but for some reason it's never been documented so I never bothered with it. But as Rick said you would need a library or c++ to do remote multiplayer.

Dynamic map generation can be done with lua, typically you start with with a few generic pieces, load them and place them based on whatever algorithm you like. I think someone added something to the workshop about procedural map generation, never tried it, dunno how far they got. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=634318904

UI is easily done in lua, I built this a while back, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=653673604

Thanks for the reference links, I will check them out. I found something related to split-screen Lua here: http://leadwerks.wikidot.com/wiki:render-to-texture-security-cam

Yes, C++ hasn't been given much love these days it seems

It's sad because I see much potential in this engine using C++. I know it's a big project in progress, but maybe some official documentation, at least some basics to get your feet wet, would be nice.